Something To Think About || xxviii

Lucy tried her best to stay up with her friends, but she ended up falling asleep in the common room. When she woke up in the morning, she was in her bed. She chalked it up to Anthony's doing and started getting ready for the day. Normally she got up early, but by the time she woke up, all her friends were at the Great Hall.

She wanted nothing more than to bury her face in her pillow and sleep for another week, but she knew that was impractical. First week of classes, and all that... plus, she now had the reputation of the 'good one', and she wanted to see how far that could get her. She heaved herself out of bed, showered, and dressed in her uniform for the first time in months.

She picked up her satchel, slinging it around her shoulder. She couldn't forget her pocket buddy. "Morning, Riddle," she said out of habit.

"Good morning," he replied. He appeared sitting on the foot of her bed, looking carefully around the room. Since he'd taken on this form, he was always interested in examining his surroundings and watching people pass by. It was kind of endearing. "Late riser?" He asked, smirking. He knew full well what the Hufflepuffs had gotten up to.

"Late night," she corrected. She vaguely remembered Anthony and Cedric dueling on the tabletops while Megan collected bets in the background. She pulled a face, "Scratch that— weird night. Hufflepuffs are wild. Did Slytherin have any parties back in the Dark Ages?"

His lips pursed at the mention of his age, and she snickered. He let it slide for now. It was too early to start arguing. "Usually, it was saved for Quidditch matches. I've heard rumors of Hufflepuff parties... I didn't think they were true."

"Ugh, if you only knew," she groaned. Last year had been hellish. She'd arrive late from detentions to see a full on rave going on, and she'd have to push through excited fifth years and older just to get to bed. Thank God for the dorms' silencing charms.

She started on the confusing path toward the Great Hall. It took longer than last year. She was certain the castle had switched its corridors around over the summer; it sounded like the sort of thing Hogwarts would do. The castle never liked to stay the same shape for long, with its moving staircases and disappearing classrooms. Riddle stayed in the diary, and she was grateful for the silence. It was far too early to get into any proper trouble...

She opened the door to the Great Hall.

That was a mistake on her part.

"—LETTER FROM DUMBLEDORE LAST NIGHT, I THOUGHT YOUR FATHER WOULD DIE OF SHAME, WE DIDN'T BRING YOU UP TO BEHAVE LIKE THIS—"

"Oh, what the hell," She hissed as the loud, rattling shout rang through her ears.

"Great, a howler," Riddle's voice said sarcastically. "

Her eyes tracked for the offending object and sure enough, in front of Ron dangled a scarlet envelope. The opening flapped like a mouth would, and she decided then and there that it was the most annoying thing she had ever heard, and it must die instantly.

"—ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED-- YOUR FATHER'S FACING AN INQUIRY—"

"Reducto!" She hissed. It was a good thing she had been practicing her aim at Mallory's, otherwise Ron would've had the equivalent of a large pack of firecrackers lighting in his face. The letter blew up into small, red shreds that fell into his porridge. At once, everyone looked to see who had done such a thing. She paid them no mind and continued to her table.

"That was an excellent use of the Reductor Curse," Daisy complimented her at once. "But as a prefect, I should impress upon you the dangers of performing a spell so close to other students."