The Things He Shouldn't Know || xviv

* * * * *

Aside from receiving unsolicited detention, Lucy was having a pretty good day. She herself didn't know what she meant by 'starting a war' but she decided to let the tension build before deciding on anything.

Partnering with Harry for the rest of Herbology turned out to be a poor decision on her part. There were only ten minutes of class left, she figured there was no way they could mess up anything. By the time they were allowed to leave, Harry managed to provoke the most docile magical plant in the world, and Sprout had to restrain the horrible beast as they evacuated the greenhouse.

Harry didn't stick around for long after that. He dodged the smack Lucy aimed at his arm and ran straight for Hagrid's hut with Ron and Hermione. Have fun getting eaten by a dragon, she thought. Sighing, Lucy caught up to her fellow badgers as they headed up to the castle.

"You'd think the Boy-Who-Lived would know how to handle a plant, after defeating You-Know-Who," Hannah said. Her eyes no longer held the awed gleam they usually had when Harry Potter came into discussion. Looks like someone's crush just got crushed.

"You do know he was only a baby, right? No one knows what happened that night," Susan rolled her eyes. "Not even my aunt knows, and she investigated the crime scene."

"She investigated it?" Ernie gaped. "Did she tell you anything?"

"I really don't think I should say..." Susan said skeptically. Lucy half agreed with her— she didn't want Harry's business spread around the school any more than the boy himself would. But she couldn't deny that she was curious. The whole event seemed to be shrouded in mystery.

"Come on, Susan, you can't just leave it at that!" Ernie groaned.

"Yes, she can," Lucy said, rolling her eyes at the boy. "That's Harry's business and Harry's business alone." She looked back at Susan, who looked ashamed at having brought it up. "I'll tell him you know about it and if he wants to know, he'll approach you himself. Until then, let's just get inside— it's boiling out here."

Susan nodded, turning a bit red at the thought of the Boy-Who-Lived approaching her. Noticing this, Justin smirked. "Aw, does someone have a crush on the celebrity?"

"What, you don't?" Megan said as though she was confused. "I thought everyone did. Do you, Hannah?"

"Most definitely. You, Lucy?"

She went to immediately say 'oh god, no', but the still red faced Susan made her stop herself. Instead she smiled tightly and said, "Absolutely. You, Wayne?"

"Madly in love," Wayne said in a flat voice.

Justin frowned. "You lot are no fun."

Hannah flicked his ear. "You'd better behave, Finch, or I'll tell Anthony you're teasing the girls again."

Having seen the way Anthony interacted with Daisy on a daily basis, Lucy doubted that the boy would be disappointed in Justin. She loved her mummy-duck, but she could not believe that Daisy hadn't murdered him already--- Cedric too, for that matter.

As they entered the castle, her friends made for the Great Hall while she made for the staircase. Just as she was about to take the first step, Megan grabbed her sleeve and pulled her back. "Hey, where are you going? We were all going get in some studying before our next class."

"And the Great Hall has snacks," Ernie added cheerfully. "'Sides, you really do need to ease up on the 'dark secret' thing."

"I do not have a dark secret!" Lucy huffed. "I just have to ask Professor Snape about some extra credit work, that's all."