t r e t t i

I slammed my locker shut, happy that I had survived this horrible school day

I slammed my locker shut, happy that I had survived this horrible school day. My math exam had gone surprisingly well since I'd been studying for it a lot the past week despite the almost endless planning for my birthday party with Vilde. My French exam on the other hand had been terrible. I was convinced that the teacher hated me because he knew that I wasn't putting that much effort into studying for French. But how could I? I had eight more subjects to focus on. I couldn't give my all to French. And I certainly didn't want to.
I turned, my backpack slung over one shoulder, and was surprised by Jonas standing about a meter behind me. I stared at him in shock but got a grip on myself a few seconds later, straightening my shoulders.

"Can we talk?" He asked, his feet shuffling nervously on the floor, his eyes not meeting mine.

"I told you I wanted some time to myself." I answered coldly, not the least prepared for whatever the hell he wanted to tell me.

"I know." He nodded, looking down at the ground. "But I can't wait any longer. The weekend was horrible."

I lifted my chin. "Do you want the truth?" I asked him, tilting my head slightly and he lifted his to look at me. "I don't care."

Jonas huffed and shoved his hands into the pockets of his jeans. "Will you let me explain myself? That's the least you can do."

He had a valid point there.
I groaned internally. I didn't want to talk to him. I wanted to stick my head in the sand and ignore whatever had happened and the following explanations and apologies.

I shrugged at him. "Sure."

Jonas eyes lit up and he smiled, causing me to have the strong urge to punch him. "Are you free now? We could go to the park. It's fairly empty this time around."

I gripped my jacket which I had been holding in my hands until now, a little tighter. "Let's go."

The walk to the park was silent and Jonas kept sneaking glances at me.
We sat on one of the benches that looked down onto the street and I was reminded of the first time we had hung out together. That Friday had gone down in history. I smiled slightly but tried to hide it from Jonas.

"I'm sorry." He said after we had sat there in silence for a few minutes, both of us dwelling in our own thoughts. "What happened at your party on Friday was absolute dritt."

I looked at him and nodded. "It was."

"I didn't mean to ruin your party." He sighed and looked out onto the street at the foot of the hill. "I snapped." He turned to look at me. "It wasn't Penetrator Chris' fault, don't be mad at him."

I just nodded. "What made you snap?"

Jonas pressed his lips together and it grew silent between us.
I shuffled my feet on the ground and sighed.

I didn't know if I was prepared for his reasons. I just wanted him to feel somewhat bad about his behaviour. And I wasn't even a girl who liked the undivided attention of everyone on her at her birthday but their fight on Friday had been selfish. I just wanted a day to be peaceful and without any drama.
Jonas still wasn't over what had happened with Eva and Chris a year ago. That much was for sure. Why else would he have started the fight with Chris? Chris didn't have any reason to be mad at Jonas and he certainly wasn't a physically aggressive person. However, he wasn't a very sensitive person either so he mostly just spoke without thinking about his words beforehand. Which left the question what Chris had said on Friday that had gotten Jonas so riled up. (And why he had ignored me for the past week.)