01: The Child of Silence (Edited)

T.A. 253, 12 years later

An arrow whizzing among the trees caught Arwen's clear blue eyes. She blinked, before smiling childishly. Quietly yet swiftly she navigated around the towering trees, intent on surprising the archer solemnly practicing in the woods. When she saw a raven-haired head between the leaves, she quickened her pace, ignoring the mud staining her grey dress.

Her friend did not notice Arwen's intrusion, which was good. Arwen leapt from the bushes and screamed, earning her a delightful yelp from the small elleth, and a pointing arrow.

"Hold on my friend!" Arwen chuckled, raising her hands. "It's me, Varilerin. Arwen, remember?"

Varilerin sighed in disapproval and withdrew her bow. "Stop it. I could have shot you," Varilerin retorted. Her warning did not frighten Arwen—she knew her friend was too skilful to harm her. Her eyes trailed back to the target drawn on the tree, of which at least ten arrows were implanted dead in its centre. Arwen's eyes widened, returning to Varilerin, who tried hopelessly to hide her bow. "You've gotten more skilful than I, Varilerin! I thought I've only left for a few hours!"

Blush crept up Varilerin's cheeks and she looked down. "Tha-Thank you, my lady," Varilerin stammered. For Glorfindel and Elrond, Varilerin was far too young to train as a warrior, but the elleth's sense of duty towards Rivendell was strong and she had been sneakily training in the woods, stealing a bow from the armoury. It was a marvel how she could progress so fast despite no proper training.

Arwen gleefully smiled at the thought, and wrapped her arm around Varilerin's shoulders. "You will make a great warrior, Varilerin! You should just show Lord Glorfindel your skills and join the rangers the next time they patrol the borders!" she suggested.

"I... am still such a young archer, my lady. I will be more of a burden than help," she retorted, wriggling away. She said nothing no more, and like her usual habit, rushed away from her friend due to embarrassment. Arwen laughed, trying to catch up, but found her speed too inferior to her—Varilerin of course had the upper hand, considering she was wearing a tunic and trousers, rather than a heavy inconvenient dress. But Arwen did not give in and continued her pace.

"Varilerin!" Arwen shouted. She continued chasing her friend past the trees, until the woods dissipated and Rivendell came into view. The nearby Elves gasped when two wild creatures sped past them, scampering like animals. Varilerin slid behind a large pillar to no avail, for Arwen soon found her. Nimbly Varilerin skipped to another pillar, and another, until Arwen ran out of her breath.

"You've gotten better running away as well!" Arwen chirped as they encircled the pillar.

"Please Lady Arwen, we need to stop this! STOP CHASING ME!" Varilerin pleaded.

"What is happening here?" barked a deep voice. Arwen and Varilerin froze as Elrond marched towards them furiously. Varilerin bowed deeply, distancing herself from Arwen. Arwen folded her hands behind her back, aware of the imminent scolding at hand.