02: Shadows in the Dark (Edited)

They had waited hours on the trees, close to the border where the forest meets an open land. Ellain had fallen asleep multiple times, each time Ruindoldir waking her up with a smack of his bow. Varilerin absently played with her braid, recalling the sword movies Ruindoldir had told her the other day. For Elves known for their agility, the Greenwood Elves were surprisingly slow. Of course she did not expect the King himself to rush—he was notorious for being nonchalant in his duties—but the world around her was just too slow.

"Patience, Varilerin. They will come soon," Ruindoldir persuaded. "These days are dark and they must tread carefully."

"If Tauriel is there, I'm sure they will be fine," Ellain chirped. "Ah, I heard Legolas is also coming—"

Ruindoldir smacked her head again. "Regardless of whether we are speaking in front of him or not, we should respect him as a royalty," he scolded sharply, but then his stern expression changed. "He is indeed a close friend of ours... I wished to have another match on swordplay later."

"I bet you'll lose," Varilerin teased, and Ruindoldir scowled once more. Of course, she doubted it—Ruindoldir was one of the greatest warriors in Rivendell, and unless this Legolas was Glorfindel himself, it would be no easy to defeat her friend.

"That, my friend, is not nice," Ruindoldir spat, clearly taking it personally. His ears twitched abruptly, and he peered through the branches. "They're here."

Varilerin copied her friend, looking down. From afar two identical dark-haired ellon on horses emerged, their faces eerily identical to Arwen's. "It's Lord Elladan and Elrohir," Varilerin observed quietly, then paused when she saw figures cladded in green behind them. They were Elves, each carrying a bow. Their hairs were either golden or brown, reflecting the colour of the autumn wood and earth. In front of them, beside Elladan and Elrohir, was a fair golden-haired ellon with a circlet crowning his head. His cloak was silver unlike the others, glimmering under the morning sun, reflecting his wise eyes. He was accompanied by a younger ellon, who bore a slight resemblance to him.

"The Greenwood Elves must have met them when they returned from Gondor," Ruindoldir observed. "We should greet them. Otherwise Legolas will fire an arrow at us."

"Do you wish to join, Varilerin?" Ellain asked. She shook her head petulantly. "Alright. Stay here then."

They leapt off the branches, like squirrels chasing one another. Varilerin furtively wished to see the Greenwood Elves up close, to walk with her friends. She, however, wished not to attract to attention to herself as well. All she could do was observe from afar, trusting her eyesight more than ever.

"Ruindoldir, Ellain! It is such a surprise to see you!" one of Elrond's sons greeted. Elladan or Elrohir, she could not guess, for even Elrond himself often mistook his gleeful sons. He patted Ruindoldir's broad shoulder, the other greeting Ellain with a hand gesture.

"Has there any news while we're away?" the other son asked.

"None. That is, other than your sister quarrelling with our quiet friend," Ruindoldir answered.

"Ah, Varilerin," he said. From his deeper, more exhausted voice she could discern he was Elrohir. "Such an intriguing child. Father must have had a hard time while we're gone."

Why do they talk about me first thing after they've reunited with one another? Varilerin thought, seriously considering her prospects of attracting no attention. The young ellon took a step closer, clearly intrigued by their conversation.

"Varilerin. You've never mentioned her before," he spoke. Varilerin narrowed her eyes. Had Elladan and Elrohir spoken too much about her?

"Sadly, you won't be seeing her Legolas," Elladan said with a sigh. "For she is shy, shyer than the deer in the woods. If you sight her, however, you'll see why she is the object of fascination among Imladris Elves. She will glare at you, even growl, and she will pounce like a bear—"