11. Of Brandybuck and Took (Edited)

"Potatoes... Mashed potatoes would be good but we don't have much butter now, so perhaps boiled ones will suffice."

Sam frowned, tapped the spoon against his mouth, and pondered deeply. "Or perhaps fry it with the sausages."

"Just get on with it," Varilerin groaned, picking some herbs growing on the ground. "We have little time to reach the next village before dark."

"We've been travelling for days, spending only one or two hours asleep. Good food is the least we can have!" protested the Hobbit.

"Sam... Just... be quick with it," Frodo mumbled too, after seeing Daefaroth furiously plucking a poisonous herb. Sam muttered something under his breath and decided to fry the potatoes himself. He couldn't understand the ranger, so quiet yet when he spoke he could not disobey his instructions. Not that he was suspicious of Daefaroth or anything—he seemed to know his path well and always too watch when the Hobbits were asleep—but his stoic silence unnerved Sam.

As Sam served them their dinner, Frodo suddenly jolted upright. An ethereal music flowed in the air, so soft yet clear as the day. Daefaroth did not sheathe his swords or drew his bow, like when they encountered some flocks of bats the night before. Frodo peered through the dense bushes to see the source of this music and found flickering lights glowing among the leaves.

"It's the Elves," Daefaroth whispered to them with disinterest, instead prodding the fire with a dry stick. Sam joined Frodo and watched the Elves marching solemnly across the forest.

Varilerin glanced at the procession, seeing that they were none other than Lothlorien Elves, judging from their grey garments and overall more otherworldly presence. "Wood Elves, aren't they?" Frodo wondered. "I think they're going to the harbour beyond the white shores, towards the Grey Havens."

Curiously, Frodo turned to Varilerin. Varilerin realised that Bilbo must have told Frodo of the Elf blood flowing in her veins—or perhaps he was sure her experience with the outside world would sufficiently quench his curiosity. "Yes, they're leaving Middle Earth," Varilerin explained reluctantly. "Towards the Undying Lands, where there is no pain or death. They will never return."

"I've heard you're an Elf, from Bilbo," Frodo said, confirming Varilerin's suspicions. "Why are you not leaving then?"

Varilerin stayed silent, flipping her head upside down in search of the appropriate answer. Often times she had thought about leaving Middle Earth, for the idea of living the rest of her days without suffering or pain certainly enticed her. Yet, an invisible rope tied her to Middle Earth, to the memories and regrets she still held on tightly to. How could she leave Middle Earth when she had so much to atone for? There were so many helpless people who did not possess the opportunity to live in paradise like the Elves—was it fair for them to live in fear of Sauron's growing madness?

"I still have things to do here," Varilerin curtly answered. "Which includes guiding you two to safety. Now, let us eat, or do you prefer sleeping without having dinner at all? I would gladly eat your whole portions."

Frodo and Sam shook their heads simultaneously before they gobbled on their meals silently. Varilerin, ironically, ate very little and gave it to the Hobbits, before embarking on a short scan of the surrounding area. Along the way, the voices of her kin grew softer, before disappearing entirely.

When she returned, she found the Hobbits cuddled in their makeshift blankets, seeking warmth beside the dimming campfire. Absently, Varilerin tossed more branches to the flames before she sat down and sighed. So far, their journey had been undisturbed, but her heart told her that it would not be for long. This form of comfortable rest would only be a temporary bliss, before they would be running for their lives. Back when she was still a ranger, she had Ellain and Ruindoldir taking turns with her for night watch. Now they were no longer here and the burden of protecting two Hobbits was all on her shoulders.