24: The Wizard's Return (Edited)

"It cannot be."

Aragorn's words were enough to reflect their bewilderment as they swallowed the new reality: Gandalf was alive in flesh and mind, reincarnated as a being more powerful than they remembered. He studied each of them with his ever-gentle smile, noting the drastic changes which they had undertaken after he had left them. A fierce determination flared in Aragorn; an unprecedented docility kept Gimli together; a clearer benevolence was reflected off Legolas' eyes; and newfound freedom had unshackled Varilerin from her omnipresent grief.

"Forgive me," Legolas said, bowing apologetically for his actions. "I mistook you as Saruman."

Gandalf chuckled, happy to see that they had been well in his absence. "I am Saruman, or rather, Saruman as he should have been," Gandalf answered. Varilerin stepped forward, still in disbelief.

"You fell, I saw you!" Varilerin rasped. "I let you!"

He sensed guilt still lingered within her. "You did not, my friend," assured Gandalf, patting her shoulder. "However, I did fell. It is my fate to destroy the Durin's Bane, through fire and water." The Wizard took a deep breath as he continued, "From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought with the Balrog of Morgoth, until at last I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside... Darkness took me and I strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheeled overhead and every day was as long as a life age of the Earth... But it was not the end. I felt life in my again."

Gandalf glanced at the others. "I've been sent back until my task is done," he ended his story proudly. "And my dear, you might not believe it, but sometimes loss is necessary for a greater change." Varilerin did not say a word. Instead, she threw her arms around Gandalf and embraced him as if she was her own grandfather. And then she smiled; the most genuine smile the Company had ever seen forming on her lips.

I have not failed.

Aragorn and Gimli swallowed a breath, for it was this moment that they saw a woman who had no grudges from the past. This was the elleth she would be if this War had never existed.

Legolas, meanwhile, froze. The fluttering in his stomach returned and this time, it was accompanied by a surge of warmth flooding his chest. I pray that smile will stay with here, he unconsciously thought. I wish she could smile to me as such.

Legolas widened his eyes, warmth creeping up his cheeks.

"It is good to see you, Gandalf!" Varilerin whispered as she pulled herself away. Gandalf chuckled and patted her head like a child, but she did not protest.

"Lady Galadriel has told me about everything," Gandalf remarked. "I should have known."

Varilerin understood what he was referring to. "No matter, Gandalf," she said. "The only important thing is that you are alive."

"Gandalf..." Aragorn muttered as he joined the happy reunion. Gandalf narrowed his eyes, as if it was the first time he heard of his name.

"Gandalf the Grey, I am no more. I am now Gandalf the White, and I come back to you now... At the turn of the tide."

oOo

It took Saruman all of his patience to prevent himself from wrecking his own tower. His plans to take the Ring from the Fellowship had been thwarted miserably, all because of the incompetence of the army he bred himself. He had thought that his superior Uruk-hais would have the brains and not only the brawns to accomplish the task, but he was utterly, stupidly wrong.

No matter, he berated himself as he overlooked the new batches of soldiers breeding below—he had taken note of his mistakes and would train them more mercilessly than before. Perhaps the Halflings did not have the Ring in the first place. Before his eyes, the Uruks burst to life, growling and howling wildly as the Orcs inspected them. This upgraded Uruks would serve him well in his campaign to crush Rohan. Now that he had Theoden under his control, it would a child's play to destroy the last remnants of Rohan on his own.