30: Secret Revelations (Edited)

Elen neighed restlessly as the company of Rohan made their way through Fangorn Forest, towards Isengard. "Sssh, it's alright," she tried to calm her down, though she could not blame it for being so frightened, for they would soon arrive at the dwelling of the White Wizard. Despite Gandalf's confidence that Saruman would not oppose them, Varilerin somehow dreaded their fated confrontation with the previous head of the Istari.

The army marching behind her shared the same opinion. Having escaped a gruesome battle, they were obviously not ready for another confrontation. Added to that fact was the retreating of Haldir and his men back to Lothlorien, which lost them a handful of the best archers they had ever seen. But Theoden understood that Haldir's company had no more strength to support them, and thus the King solely trusted Eomer's forces in winning the imminent battle—should it ever happen.

As usual, the trees groaned and howled as their domain was trespassed, but not out of vexation or despise. "They are laughing," Legolas remarked, for their sounds mimicked those of bells rung in the confines of Rivendell.

"Laugh? You're telling me that they can laugh now?" barked Gimli. "What will they do next? Walk around and prance like a pony?"

This was replied by a sudden creak from the nearby tree. "They are being kind to you," Varilerin said. "You should feel lucky. The Uruks did not receive the same treatment."

Gimli gulped and wiped away his cold sweat, earning a chuckle from Gandalf. "We are almost there," he informed the others. The soldiers summoned a false courage to cover their fears. "Do not worry. I will be the one greeting him," he further assured them.

The fabled woods of Fangorn slowly rolled into barren wasteland covered with chopped trunks and leafless trees. Holding her breath, Varilerin now understood why the trees had been so wrathful in the recent years. She could not imagine what Treebeard and hie Ents had done to pay Saruman for his cruelty. This was immediately answered by the sight of the wrecked Isengard just across the borders of Fangorn. Nothing was left as a proof that an army of Uruk-hai had been bred there, for the lands were flooded knee-deep and the pits drowned. The soldiers shuddered, sneaking away from the forest quickly.

Riding closer to the tower of Orthanc, the company heard two distant laughter. Their voices mimicked that of a child and Varilerin instantly recognised their owners. Smirking, she saw Pippin and Merry perched on a rubble, smoking their pipe weed and drinking without any care in the world. When they saw their guests, promptly they stood and raised their hands and tankards proudly.

"Welcome, my lords and lady, to Isengard!" hiccupped Merry.

"This is a surprise," Varilerin said. The Men gaped at the two Hobbits, assuming that they had destroyed Isengard single-handedly. She could tell that, if the Hobbits were within his reach, Gandalf would smack them with his staff, just for amusement. Seeing their bemused expressions, the Hobbits cackled louder, toasting to their apparent victory.

"You young rascals! A merry hunt you've led us and now we find you feasting and... and smoking!" protested Gimli. This merely invited another round of laughter from the Hobbits. Droopy eyes stared back at the Dwarf, convincing him that these two were beyond reasoning.

"We are sitting on a field of victory enjoying a few well-earned comforts. The salted pork is particularly good!" Pippin retorted gleefully, biting onto his pork jerky. Gimli swallowed, for suddenly his hunger returned even after the sumptuous meal he had had back in Helm's Deep.

"Salter pork," Gimli murmured. Rolling his eyes, Gandalf approached the drunken Hobbits, hoping to speak some sense to them.

"Hobbits!" reminded Gandalf, snapping them awake from their drunken frenzy. It almost caused Merry to tumble down if not for Pippin's quick hands catching his.