27: Bearer of Battle (Edited)

He heard a shatter when it happened. Legolas could not comprehend what it was until the battle had ended. The Warg-riders had the element of surprise on their side, but the riders of Rohan still gained the upper hand. With the help of Aragorn and his comrades, they were able to deplete the enemies to small numbers, after which the riders regrouped to kill the remaining enemies. Many had died, no doubt, but they had succeeded in protecting the people of Edoras. Under the leadership of Eowyn, the people of Rohan should have approached Helm's Deep by now.

Gimli ended the last of the enemies by decapitating an Orc, allowing the rest of the riders to breath a sigh of relief. He panted, tired of being under corpses, before he jogged to Legolas. Legolas scanned the remnants of the battlefield, finding Aragorn strolling towards them, his face smeared with so much blood he almost did not recognise the Man. None of them were wounded, much to Legolas' relief, though the battle had shaken their spirits and strength.

"Glad we made it," Gimli said, patting Aragorn's shoulder. "But where is Varilerin?"

Legolas' face blanched. "Varilerin!" he shouted, his heart throbbing apprehensively. No response or reply came. They waited, waited for at least a speck of her presence moving among the soldiers, but nothing came. Legolas' shuddered, struck by a terrible premonition, frightening enough for him to cower to death. He quickly scoured the battlefield for Varilerin, while Aragorn and Gimli tailed behind. There were bodies everywhere, of Rohan soldiers and Orcs, but he could not any wearing a dark scarf.

This is not happening, he told himself. She is not dead.

A bird flew past him, its eyes beckoning him to follow. It perched on Varilerin's bow which lay without its master. He picked it up and looked towards the cliff, hearing the river crashing below. His blood ran cold as he walked towards it, a hidden fear screaming in his head. A chuckle drew his attention, coming from a dying Orc with Varilerin's blade embedded into his neck. Gimli took the liberty to interrogate the Orc, threatening it with his axe.

"Tell me what happened and I will ease your passing!" Gimli barked. The Orc cackled and spat Gimli with his blood. It appeared he had brawled considerably with his opponent before he ultimately fell.

"She's dead... She took a little tumble off the cliff," the Orc whispered gleefully. His answer ignited an anger Legolas never knew he possessed. He knelt down and yanked the Orc, glowering at him while restraining himself from slitting the Orc dead.

"You lie," Legolas hissed. "Tell me what happened!"

But the Orc did not respond, his eyes now gazing the skies. Legolas breathed heavily as he looked down, seeing the Orc clutching something. He slowly unclasped his fingers, discovering a necklace he had never seen before. Its pendant was enclosed with beautiful wings, shimmering mysteriously. And then he remembered that Varilerin was wearing a necklace around her neck, though it was usually hidden beneath her scarf. "No," Legolas muttered, realising that what the Orc had said was true. He sprinted to the cliff, searching for any possibility for her to survive the fall.

The river was roaring, its currents quick enough to drown a horse. He found no body, just a corpse of a Warg swept to its riverbank. "No... No..."

She would not survive that fall.

At that moment, Legolas' world crumbled into pieces. His heart ached, like when he knew his love for Tauriel was futile. But this time, it crushed him more.

Aragorn and Gimli joined beside him, their faces twisting into an indescribable expression. Varilerin, their lone female companion, who had strived and lived despite the direst circumstances, lost her life—just like that. The Daefaroth was no more, her life lost in protecting others, as was her vow. Aragorn staggered back, disbelieving this truth. She had sword to protect him and she accomplished her vow, but it had not expected it to be so soon. She valued his life more than hers, believing him to be the one true king.