Chapter 22

"She picked him up from the hospital, you say?"
She just nodded, looking at the female who was laughing over the phone, oblivious of the assassins following her. She was fairly tall, with mid length, perfectly styled reddish-brown​ hair. Her shades covering her probably, no definitely, perfect eyes.
Make up caked her face, making it look flawless.

Overall, she was on fleek.

"It's her isn't it?" She asked. He nodded, glancing at the picture the doctor gave them. "I think so. Except she has a completely different appearance from the day she picked him up."

"Safe to assume that it's a disguise?"

"I suppose so."

She slowly started walking towards her. "Excuse me?" She called out. She whipped her head towards Azalea, and rose her eyebrows, as if asking, 'me?'.
Azalea flashed her a grin.
The female definetely felt envies of Azalea. It was a general female instinct, jealous of natural beauty. Those who looked good without even trying to.
"Are you Mia Anderezzi?"
She scrunched her eyebrows in confusion and shook her head. "Sorry, you've got the wrong person."

"Ah, I see. Sorry." Azalea apologized and walked past the woman. A thud was heard, followed by a gasp. Azalea looked back at her, putting her flickblade back in her pocket. She looked at the cut off handbag on the floor, with its contents spilled out. "Oh would you look at that, you are Mia Anderezzi." She confirmed, looking at her ID.
Azalea faked sympathy, looking at her. "You could've just answered me honestly, I wouldn't have had to cut your really expensive bag, what a waste."
Mia clutched her phone, her heart rapidly beating in her chest. She chose the first option someone has when they're scared, forget everything and run.
She walked past the tons of people, making it an advantage for her to slow the woman following her.
She dialed the number, her fingers trembling.
"Pick up...pick up you bastard!!" She hissed into her phone, her palms sweaty.

She walked into a capsule of the Ferris wheel, and sat inside, looking at Azalea who was stuck in the crowd.
The wheel started to move, but she could care less.
"Hello?" The man on the other line said.
"You!! I told you to not fucking contact me! Now they are after me! You caught me up in this-" she stopped abruptly, when she noticed someone was sitting infront of her.

Clyde.

Azalea clicked her tounge looking at Clyde who was one step ahead of her. "How annoying, he gets to have all the fun."
She forgot he wasn't dumb like the others she's worked with. How did he get in there? Whatever, like she cares.
"Oh well, I might as well help him. I'm feeling generous today."

"H-how did you get in here?" Mia whispered, looking at the man with a cold face.
"Like how you did, I payed for a ticket."
She was confused. Who was the woman after her then? Who was this guy? Was her chase a trap? Was it intended for her to get in here?
"I'm not going to tell you anything." She spat. The ride was going to get over in a while anyways. All she had to do was keep quiet till then. Refuse to reveal anything.
The wheel came to an abrupt stop, while they where still on top. Clyde glanced down at the large crowd, then looked back at her. "You won't be able to get out until you answer me. This won't move."
Mia screamed in frustration and looked down at the control system. Azalea was leaning onto it, tracing along the edge of the buttons, a bored pout on her face. When she saw Mia looking at her, she waved, flashing her a friendly grin.
She knew Clyde would catch on to what she was doing. No doubt he probably already understood. This was how she helped.
"Thank you darlin'." She said to the man beside her,who had an amazed expression on his face, counting the bills he got just to let her handle the wheel for this ride.
' I'm trying to understand you.'  his words rung in her head. Her fist tightened.
He always saw the most pathetic sides of her. Most of the time he saw straight through her. She couldn't decieve him.
And now this? He says things which....makes her feel.... comforted?
She didn't like this.
The worst part was that working with him was actually fun.
This whole case, solving it with him was fun.

The time during the tests, he believed her, he came onto her side. She tried testing him, she tried pushing him, but he stayed.
She betrayed him in the end, just to see what his expression would be.

People always said she was just a sad excuse of a human. But no one ever....no one ever even thought of trying to understand her. She let out a ragged breath, closing her eyes.

She was actually starting to like this.... teamwork.
------------------------------------------------------------
"Wasn't it her who was after me? Who are you?"

"I'm doing you a favour. Trust me, you wouldn't want her to be here instead of me. I'm making things easier for you."

Mia swallowed hard. Her shoulders shook as she dropped her head down, breaking eyesight, her hair covering her face and tears.
"I didn't know...." She started.
"I didn't know he was a damn killer! He just asked me out so I went with him! That's when I got to know he was the person behind all these murders! I had lunch with a man who had blood stained hands!" She covered her mouth, her perfect face twisted in pure pain and disgust.
"I wanted to stay away. I told him not to interfere with me, or else I would turn him in. I wanted to give him another chance. I even called the police once.... But......i..." She started to sob, choking on her own words.

"Why did it turn out this way? Why??!!!" She covered her face, bawling her eyes out, revealing all the missing pieces which finally made sense in the end.
------------------------------------------------

He sat at the opposite to them, the table light on the police interrogation table flashing onto his dull, tired eyes. His hair was greasy, in a mess.
His lips pursed, not letting a word out. Not answering even one of their questions.

"The victim you've attempted murder on identified your face. We have also got information from the hospital you've went to. The doctor who treated you has given us a witness statement."  Clyde informed him.
He still kept quiet, his hands gripping each other tighter than before.  Azalea harshly lifted his head to face Clyde's, putting the file under his chin. Their eyes just bored into each other.
"Tch" Clyde got up, annoyed, the chair making a screeching sound.

"Are all the murders we say are your doing, yours? Or is any one of them not? You are getting a life sentence y'know? Are there any other murders that we don't know about?" Clyde asked for the last time.

Nothing.
Clyde switched off the recording button.

Azalea looked down at the man who was seated, with dark, yet bright eyes.
"It's not that he won't answer....it's just that he can't."
He shot his head up, looking at her. For the first time, a proper reaction.

The door swung open.
"E-excuse me! I was told to inform you both that there has been another murder."