8. how'd you mesure in years

cora was telling stiles and skylar the story of when derek and peter were hunted when they were younger

"they were there for two days, waiting, hiding. that's what we're taught to do when the hunters find us. hide and heal." cora explained.

she was looking outside of the window watching the rain fall.

"okay, so is two days standard, then, or are we thinking derek's on, like, some extended getaway?" stiles asked.

"why do you care?" cora asked turning around to face the two.

"why do i care? let's see... because over the last few weeks, my best friend's tried to kill himself. his boss nearly got ritually sacrificed. a girl that i've known since i was three was ritually sacrificed. boyd was killed by alphas. i- do you want me to keep going? cause i can, call right? for, like, an hour." stiles said.

"you think derek can do anything about that?" cora asked walking toward them.

"well, since he's the one everyone seems to be after, it's more like he should do something about it, yeah." stiles argued.

"i don't know. there's something different about him now. he wasn't like this when i knew him." cora said.

"well, what was he like?" skylar asked from her spot sitting on the steps.

she heard foot steps and looked to see peter, he was walking down the stairs.

skylar got up and walked over to stiles. it wasn't that she was afraid of peter, she just didn't like being around him.

"a lot like scott, actually. a lot like most teenagers... unbearably romantic, profoundly narcissistic, tolerable really only to other teenagers." peter said as he reached the bottom of the steps.

"so what happened? what changed him?" stiles asked.

"well, the same thing that changes a lot of young men... a girl." peter replied.

stiles looked over at skylar, before stiles turned his gaze back to peter.

"you're telling me some girl broke his little heart? that's why derek is the way he is?" stiles asked.

"do you remember derek before he was an alpha had blue eyes? do you know why some wolves have blue eyes?" peter asked and stiles and skylar shock their heads.

"i just always thought it was, like, a genetic thing." stiles replied.

"if you want to know what changed derek, you need to know what changed the color of his eyes." peter explained.