Only From Dreams and Songs

I'm in a tomb, wait...no it's a prison. But there's no coffin, it's been taken. By who? 

Then I'm in a plane, my brother's there and there's a blond woman who I can't quite remember. There are other people too but what catches my attention is the sarcophagus in the center of the plane. It's black as night with a hint of what might be turquoise and is covered in a fine layer of dust. 

The mouth at the front of it looks like it's screaming for something important and I graze my fingers across its surface even though I know I can't really feel it. As I do, something slams against the front of the plane. Chaos erupts and I suddenly find myself falling down through darkness. 

Then suddenly, I'm sitting in a galaxy of golden stars and the air smells like summer memories, warm and lively. 

I had been here in my mind countless time before, sitting in a white gown with a golden clasp, hair loose and soft. As I expected, the energy shifts behind me and I turn to see an all too familiar woman. 

She looks about 16, 18 years old, her hair's long and black but dead looking, like a burnt weeping willow. Her skin's unbelievably pale and there's small black marks along her arms, forehead and cheeks. She's wearing nothing except for the white faded strips of cloth covering what needed to covered and she's holding a knife that looks like something made in another world. 

She doesn't speak, not at first, only cocks her head to one side as if curious to who, or perhaps what, I am. I slowly stand, feeling unusually light, and take a step to her. She takes two steps to me. For a moment, there's only silence. Then she presses a finger into her chest. 

"Golden Cobra." Then she presses a finger into my chest. "Desert Ruby." Then she cups my chin and simply stares. Until a black tear falls down her cheek and her lower lip trembles.

I reach out and wipe the tear away and she smiles sadly. "Don't cry. I'll sing you a song to help you feel better." She shook her head. "Perhaps some other time." 

I sat up so quickly that I tumbled out of bed. Groaning, I crawled back into the bed and rubbed my eyes, glancing at my phone which was ringing loudly. I sighed before noticing it was my brother and tapping the green circle. 

"Hello? "Hey Lana? Are you alright?" I raised a curious eyebrow. "Yeah, what's wrong?" "I can't tell you but whatever you do, be on your guard. Remember your songs, the healing ones." My eyes went wide. 

"The healing ones? You mean the songs I believed could calm a restless sea? I haven't sung those in years." "Please remember them, they could be the only thing to protect you." Then he hung up. 

My healing songs... I stuck my hand behind a pillow and pulled out a little pink notebook. 

When I was young, like any little kid, I believed in certain things being special. Songs was one of them, they weren't unusual songs or ones that weren't heard of, just simple songs. From things like Barbie, and Disney, my favorite was Lana Del Ray's Young and Beautiful. Second favorite was Constant as the stars (Barbie as Rapunzel), and third was Edelweiss from Sound of Music. 

I remember how easy it was to sing those songs and believe they were helping the world. As I got older, I stopped singing out of stage fright but wrote the songs down under the name healing songs. (I was about five years old, so cut me some slack with the name idea.) I had almost forgotten they existed. 

But why did Nick remind me of them now? I thought as I read the titles. But with no one to answer my question, I was left wondering.