The Present

2000 years later, and in Lana's P.O.V...

It was only a story, that's what my parents said, but I loved it with all my heart. It had been in the family for god knows how long and had been written on different papers over time.

The only person who knew about it and actually read it with me was my adult brother Nick, a man of good fortune and my best friend. His parents had adopted me a little after he left home and I had been living in London for five years now. But being born a New Yorker, I stuck out like a sore thumb with my accent and still needed a drivers license. Hence, Nick was the only one who really understood me. He had traveled the world and was used to all kinds of voices and languages.

Unfortunately, being such a traveler, he wasn't home often, a little something I despised.

~

"You're leaving again? But you just got back two days ago!" It was early morning on a Saturday, the sun had yet to rise and Nick had roused me awake with his failure at stealth packing.

"I'm sorry Lana, this expedition came along last minute." I rolled my eyes as I sat on the floor. "I'm sure it did." He winced at the thick sarcasm.

"Lana, I'm sorry. I'll make it up to you." I belted out a laugh and stood with an angry stomp.

"That exactly what you said last time. We had plans! I was hoping to watch Saturday cartoons with you, like the first time we met." I frowned. "But nooo...you have to go out and save the world and I don't even get to be a part of it."

"You're too young." "I'm sixteen, I can take care of myself." His smile was full of pity, which made me furious.

"I can! You just don't want to test me so mom and dad hide away from everyone else. I just want to have an adventure, with you!"

There was a long pause of silence as we both digested what happened. Finally, he came to my side and placed his hand on my shoulder.

"Lana...I don't want to lose you." My eyes began to sting with tears.

"You just did." And with a soft sob, I turned and stomped out of the room, slamming the door behind me.