19 ↝ loud music & strange meetings

Mackenzie Ziegler
26 June 2017

•••

The music is pounding. And I mean pounding. It ricochets around the house and as I rest my hands on our cool, white wallpaper I feel the wood vibrating and shaking with every pulse in the music. It's way, way too loud and there's way, way too many people in here.

Walking fast around the hallway, I start to look for Lauren. Pushing through bunches of random people, I get a lot of strange looks. "Fuck off!" I feel like telling them as they act all high and mighty, "this is my house!"

Unfortunately, because I said it in my head, no one heard it but me– what a shame. My comebacks are quite insulting sometimes... not.

Elbowing my way past a massive group of half naked and drunk girls, I finally spot Lauren. My relief is short lived however, when I find out she's in a full on make out session with some bloke. I'm not interrupting that– seriously! As soon as I see the guy run his hands through her hair and down to her ass, I turn away. She's obviously drunk too, because soberly? She would never let a guy do that.

Turning on my heel, I stomp back into the living room where the music is playing even louder. It's chaos in here; and looks right out of a movie with red plastic beer cups littering every single surface.

Shoving through a throng of people, I attempt to grab a massive garbage bag and fail when I'm pushed out of the way by a couple who may as well be eating eachothers faces off at the rate they're going.

Why? Why did I agree to this stupid fricking party? All my friends just got drunk on me, and the only other reasonable (and sober) is missing; probably meaning he's hooking up with some girl. My heart pangs. God, I need to get over Johnny.

Feeling a surge of adrenaline, I think of an idea. Spotting a full cup of beer on the ground, I crouch down and grab it. Quickly, with good aim I might add, I slosh it all over the couples legs. Disturbed, they break apart and look down at me. The girl looks to the guy as if to say what the fuck and without even thinking I give them the weirdest look I can muster.

This involves pushing out my tongue, crossing my eyes, wrinkling my nose and crinkling my eyebrows. In five seconds flat, they're out of the room, hopefully out of the house even, and I stand up, walk forward and grab a plastic garbage bag. Running around the kitchen, I swipe all the solo cups into it with haste. The tidier the better, right? Meh. Without the cups, it does look tidier, but I spot with annoyance that the dishes are broken in the sink and the cupboard doors are open; leading way to raided shelves with hardly any food on them. Sinking onto a bench chair, not even caring, I put my head in my hands. I sigh, and think of what our mothers will say when they see this mess. Surely they won't be too mad–

"Hello there." A smooth voice says, interrupting my thoughts. I look to my left, which is where they voice came from, and I see a guy seated in the spot next to me.

"Hiya." I say, smiling wistfully, and looking him up and down. He's cute, but not a jock obviously. He looks out of place, like me, and he slides a beer over the table.

"Would you like it?" He asks, and I stare down at the glass bottle. On one hand, I would love to; to get my thoughts off a certain someone, and on the other, should I really? At the moment, I'm one of the only ones that's sober, but one beer can't hurt can it?

"I shouldn't, but I will." I say, and he pops the top open before handing it to me. Thank you perfect stranger.

The cool and bitter liquid almost scalds my throat as I wash it down and swallow, but the buzz I feel afterwards soothes me. Whether it's really the beer, or the thought of breaking the rules, it feels nice all the same.

"So what's your name?" The stranger asks, yelling loudly over the music and leaning closer.

"Mackenzie." I shout, shrinking back when he gets closer. For some reason, it makes me uncomfortable when his breath fans my face, and as he does I realise he might not be a perfect stranger after all. Up close, the product I thought was in his hair is actually grease, and he smells of lynx and sweat. Ew.

"That's pretty." He whispers, obviously drunk, before leaning forward through the metres gap and pushing his lips against mine. Literally.

He's wet, and sloppy, and everything about the kiss screams revolting. He smells and tastes of crappy beer, and when I grab his face in an attempt to get him off me he sees this as an act of lust and pulls me closer. His lips suck the life out of mine and I scream against his mouth. Finally gathering up some courage, I'm about to knee him in the gut when he suddenly releases me and looks to his left in horror. I stumble back, whimpering, and wipe his slobber on my sleeve in an attempt to rid my lips of him.

Looking over, I realise with a pang that Johnny just punched him in the side of the mouth.

What is this, and where the hell did he come from? Johnny looks really mad, and the guy quickly turns away drunkenly, looking for his beer no doubt. When he finds it, He looks for me; eyes not quite adjusting to the fast movements.

"I'm sorry." He slurrs, "I didn't... know you had a boyfriend."

"He's not my–" I start to say, and trail off when I see that he's already stumbled out of the room and that Johnny's standing before me looking aggressive.

Johnny's eyes flick to mine, somehow managing to look absolutely enraged and absolutely calm at the same time. I swallow, heart beating fast in absolute terror.

Quickly, he turns away and melts into the crowd as if he was never there in the first place.

•••

[1075 words]

Aww, cliffhanger ;) Comment what you think is going to happen next!

*edited