Chapter 1

Rewritten: 26/06/2019

A buzzing sound makes Lexi look up from the work she's been focused on for the past few hours. She expected her business phone to be ringing, but to her surprise, it's her personal phone. Even more surprisingly, it's her dad calling. He rarely calls randomly, especially in the middle of the day.

"Dad?" Lexi says after picking up, already worried something bad has happened. Again.

"Hey Lex," her dad greets her and immediately, Lexi she hears she was right. Something has happened.

"What's going on dad?"

"I'm at the hospital."

"What? Why? What happened? Are you okay?"

"I'm okay, don't worry. It's nothing major. They're just running some tests now to see exactly what's up. Can you come down here though?"

"Yeah, of course! I'll be there as soon as possible. Let me know if anything changes, okay? I'm on my way!" Lexi says before hanging up. As she tries not to panic too much, she gathers her stuff before telling her boss she has to leave early. Luckily, he completely understands and tells her to take as much time as she needs. Relieved, Lexi goes to the hospital as quickly as possible, hoping the doctors will be able to figure out what's going on with her dad. 

Once Lexi reaches the hospital, she walks up to the front desk where a nurse seems preoccupied with her phone.

"Excuse me? I'm looking for Vince Cooper. He was brought in earlier. I'm his daughter,"  Lexi says, making the nurse look up from her phone.

"Let me check quickly,"  she says, looking something up in her PC, "he's on the 2nd floor, room 2.3."

"Thank you," Lexi tells her before heading to the second floor. The fact that he wasn't in the emergency room anymore told her things were serious. By the time she reached her dad's room, the craziest things were flying through her head. She couldn't lose him, not him too.

"Dad!" Lexi says once she reaches room 2.3, making her dad look over to her.

"Hey pumpkin," he greets her, a slightly smile on her face, which doesn't stop Lexi from seeing he's in pain. 

"Are you okay? What happened?"

"I'm fine, don't worry. I was at the factory when I suddenly felt light headed and I fainted. They insisted that I go to the hospital to get myself checked, but I feel fine, really!"

"Dad, you don't just faint. It's good they told you to go. What did the doctors say so far?"

"Not much, they've just been running tests and they moved me up here since the emergency room was full and I was closer to the tests here."

"Do you know when you'll get the results?" Lexi asks, but before her dad can answer, the doctor walks in.

"I think now," Vince says as the doctor walks over to his bad.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Dr. Parker,"  the doctor introduces himself to Lexi.

"I"m Lexi Cooper, I'm his daughter."

"Good that youre here. We just got the results back from the tests we did."

"Do you know what's wrong?"

"Not excatly, so he has to stay here for observation."

"For how long? I have to go back to work as soon as possible" Vince asks.

"For at least 2 nights as you have a wound on your head and you might have a serious concussion. But after that, it depends on the results we find."

"I can't stay that long, I'm flying to China in a few days."

"I'm sorry Mr. Cooper, but even if you were released from the hospital, you won't be allowed to fly for at least a few weeks," Dr. Parker says, making Vince's eyes widen in horror.

"No flying? But that's basically my job!"

"Don't worry dad, we'll figure something out," Lexi says as she takes her dad's hand, squeezing it slightly.

"But what? Where do I find a replacement before China? Lewis will be so mad if I give him a bad replacement!"

"I can do it," Lexi suggests without a second thought, but her dad immediatly shakes his head.

"No, no way."

"Why not? I've got the papers for it and it's not like you'll find anyone else on short notice who Lewis will aprove off. You tell me all the time how he doesn't like to have strangers around when it comes to personal stuff. He knows me, a little and if anything, he knows you."

"Yes and I know him. Which makes me know that I don't want you working for him. I know his past pumpkin and I don't want you to have to deal with that. He's far from easy."

"I know that dad, but you need someone and I'm sure I can work something out with my boss. Unless you have another idea, I think this is the only option you have," Lei says and her dad sighs, knowing she's right, even though he doesn't like it.

"Fine, you can do it. I'll give Lewis and the team a call to tell them you'll be replacing me for at least the next 2 Formula 1 weekends. After that, we'll see how things go."