Chapter 10

Rewritten: 09/11/2019

The moment Lewis crosses the finish line not being in first place, Lexi knows it will be an interesting afternoon. With Lewis finishing P4 with a big gap to the third place driver Kimi Raikonnen, there is no way he will be in a good mood and Lexi knows it.

But Lexi also remembers Lewis' promise from Friday night and she hopes he hasn't forgotten either. Now will be the time to put his promise to the test and see if there is a nicer attitude towards her and no more crazy mood swings.

Lexi makes her way to where Lewis parked his car, handing him his bottle, sunglasses and cap without saying a word. Lewis doesn't say anything to either, though Lexi isn't sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

"Try to say something nice about Valtteri. It's his first win," Lexi tells Lewis as they walk to the media together.

"Really?"

"Yes, really. Be a good team mate," Lexi says, making Lewis scoff slightly. Guess he's in a bad mood then. Better get this over with as quickly as possible.

After Lewis talked to all the different journalists and Lexi has listened to him basically saying the same thing over and over, they walk back to the Mercedes hospitality unit. To Lexi's relief, Lewis did say something nice about Valtteri as she suggested and he hasn't been rude to her just yet.

"I'm gonna go back to the hotel already, so you don't have to wait for me," Lexi tells Lewis as they head up the stairs to the hospitality unit.

"Why?" he asks surprised.

"I want to start on the interviews and such so that I won't have that much to do later on."

"Okay."

"We're flying back tonight, be ready at 5, I'll pick you up at your hotel room."

"To England?"

"Yes, but it'll only be the two of us," Lexi says. She's not really looking forward to it, but at least it should be better than their first flight together.

"Alright," Lewis says before heading to the debrief. Lexi gathers her stuff before making her way out of the paddock. She'd be lying if she said she wasn't heading back already to not have to deal with Lewis until later. Even though he is doing better than before, it's still not great. And after everything he's put her through, she needs more than just an attempt. Especially when she's been so patient with him.

After getting back to the hotel, Lexi quickly packs her stuff before sitting down and working on the interviews. She does her work without even really thinking about it, just wanting to be done with it as quickly as possible. She starts to regret her decision to help her dad more and more, but she has to keep going. For her dad. For everything he has done for her.

Lexi looks up from a work when she hears a knock on her door. She closes her laptop and goes to open the door. To her surprise, Lewis is standing in front of her.

"Hey," she says a little confused as he has never come to her room before.

"Hey, are you ready?" Lewis asks, confusing Lexi even more.

"Ready?"

"To go to the airport, it's almost 5," Lewis says, making Lexi check the time and to her surprise, he's right. She was planning to go to his room slightly before 5 but he beat her to it.

"Yeah, I'm ready. Give me a minute to grab my stuff," Lexi says before going back into her room. She leaves the door open and Lewis looks at her as she packs up the final things. She looks a bit tired, making him wonder why. Was it his fault? As soon as the thought enters Lewis' mind, he frowns at himself. Not everything is because of him, maybe she just didn't sleep well.

"Alright, let's go," Lexi says, snapping Lewis out of his thoughts.

"Great," Lewis says as Lexi walks out of her room, taking her luggage with her. Lewis closes the door behind her and follows her to the elevator. They both feel the tension between the two of them, but neither of them knows what to do or what to say to change it.

By the time they get on the plane, they've barely said a few words to each other and all of them were necessary. Lewis hates the fact that Lexi seems to hate him. Partly because he thinks he and Lexi could get along great, partly because he's not used to it. Sure, there are a bunch of people who hate him. But they hate him based on what they see in the media. They hate an idea of him. They don't actually hate him based on their own experiences. But Lexi does.

"Lexi?" Lewis starts as the plane starts moving towards the runway.

"Yeah?" Lexi replies as she looks at him, wondering what he'll say.

"I just wanted to apologize for earlier today. I let my emotions get the best of me and I'm sorry. I know I promised you the other day that I'd be nicer to you and I already broke my promise, which I hate."

"Okay," Lexi replies before she looks out the window again.

"Okay?" Lewis asks confused. He expected her to say a bit more than that, even argue with him a little. But he didn't expect her to just accept it.

"Yeah, okay," Lexi says, not even looking at him this time. She doesn't want to have this conversation, not right now. They still have to be on this plane together for quite a while and she really doesn't feel like fighting with him the entire time. Luckily, Lewis drops it, putting on some music.

"Lexi? Are you asleep" Lewis whispers after a few hours. The chance she'll reply is small, even if she is awake, but he can't sleep and could really use someone to talk to. Lexi sighs and opens her eyes, wondering what he wants now.

"No, I couldn't sleep," she admits.

"Me neither. Too much on my mind."

"Yeah, I know how you feel," Lexi says as she sits up slightly.

"Want to talk about it?"

"Not particularly."

"Can I say something?"

"Sure," Lexi says, slightly curious to hear what he has to say.

"I know you don't like me, but I want you to know that if something's wrong, you can always talk to me. I might not be your first choice, but if no one else is around, you know. It's not good to keep things cropped up."

"No!" Lexi exclaims, surprising Lewis.

"What?"

"You can't do that!"

"Do what?"

"First act like a complete jerk and then say this! I'm supposed to hate you! Why do you do this? Why do you keep confusing me?"