Chapter 9

Rewritten: 05/09/2019

The next morning, Lexi walks to Lewis' hotel room, already not looking forward to the day ahead of them. It's gonna be another long day filled with Lewis' attitude and rudeness. She takes a deep breath before knocking on the door, knowing she doesn't have much choice. Plus, she doesn't want to be yelled at for being late. Again.

Inside, Lewis is almost done getting ready for the day. He made sure to put in a little extra effort because today is the day things will start being different. The knock on the door makes a shiver of nerves run through him he's not familiar with. It's just Lexi, he can do this. This time will be different. He can't let things get any worse than they already have. Lewis takes a deep breath before walking over to the door and opening it with a smile on his face.

Lexi looks up, expecting to see an annoyed-looking Lewis, but to her surprise, he greets her with a smile.

"Good morning," Lewis says, sounding quite happy.

"Good morning," Lexi replies, the confusion and surprise obvious in her voice as he has never said that to her before.

"Ready to go?"

"Yeah, are you?" Lexi asks as they start walking to the elevator.

"I am! Excited to get back in the car!"

"Yeah I can imagine," Lexi says as the two of them get in the elevator. A silence falls over them as the elevator takes them downstairs. It gives Lexi some time to try and figure out why Lewis is acting so nice all of a sudden.

"So, like I said tomorrow, you don't have anything media related in between FP1 and FP2, so only the post-free practice interviews today," Lexi says as they walk to the car that will take them to the track.

"Alright, thank you," Lewis says as they get into the car. Lexi has to do her best not to look too shocked. Something is definitely up with him today, this is not him. The ride to the track is in silence as usual, but not the uncomfortable kind she's used to. What happened between now and yesterday that made him do such a 180?

"I have to go to the garage, I'll see you after FP2?" Lewis asks as they walk into the paddock.

"Yeah, I'll be waiting for you in the garage."

"Great!"

"Good luck," Lexi says, making Lewis smile.

"Thank you," he says before walking off, leaving Lexi alone with her thoughts. She heads to Mercedes' hospitality unit to get herself a coffee, passing McLaren's as she does. She spots Pascalle sitting outside and walks over to her as she could really use some advice on the whole situation.

"Hey," Pascalle says surprised when Lexi sits down across from her.

"Hey, you never guessed what happened this morning."

"Lewis was a jerk?"

"No, the opposite actually! He was very nice to me! Like, un-Lewis-like nice."

"What?"

"Yeah, I know. It was so weird. Something great must've happened to him because this is completely new," Lexi says and Pascalle nods understandingly.

"Well, I'd enjoy it if I were you. You never know how long it'll last."

"You don't think it's a permanent change?"

"I don't know, but don't count on it too much. He can only let you down," Pascalle says and Lexi knows she's right.

"I'm gonna go to the garage so I'll know what happened in FP1."