Chapter I: Wonderland

A/N: This chapter has been slightly altered from its original posting on 19th December 2018.

-------------------------------

Julia's relationship with A&E was an arduously and somewhat comically carved friendship in the story of faint scars and disfigurements that had accumulated over the years, some of which were neck sprain and wrist fracture from bending over to hug a dog and slipping; knocking herself out while trying to eat nachos when jar of salsa she was giving a good shake administered the coup de grâce and walking through glass window that left her with small slices in her body. Her medical record, according to Dr Steele, was a source of joke amongst medical students that one should be wary of life's cruel gag.

She heard the automatic door slide open, the angry click-clack announcing a particular presence she very much wanted to avoid accompanied by her booming shouts of displeasure having left her teaching job in emergency after a phone call from the hospital, "Can you explain to me young lady why we're here IN A&E?! AGAIN?!"

Her dad, a much milder and quiet of the pair, followed in soon after with lines of worries sketched in his forehead, "What's going on?"

Julia always was always fascinated by her parent's interaction toward each other. They were divorced - having married each other at a mere age of 18 and 19 respectively before it lasted few years – but they seemed to be on an amicable term with each other like long-time friends even when she was a child. She hadn't even known they were divorced until she was 12. She simply thought they lived separately because of their busy jobs although she wasn't sure whether their friendship took on the least pleasant elements built on duty, rather than for their own enjoyment.

Her dad muttered something, presumably to rationalise her obviously thoughtless decision that landed her in the hospital bed but her mum simply shot him down with a warning glare, "Good reason?! Hashtag-YOLO?! Gerald, really?! What good reason is there to jump off some blimey rollercoaster?!" Directing her wrath back to the source and from the look on her face, it had to be a good damn one, "Well?"

"I just felt like it." She gave a casual shrug of her shoulder, mind blank and resigning to her fate, "I didn't want to ride anymore."

"What are you going to do WITH YOUR LIFE?!"

"Become a unicorn so I can stab people with my head."

"Oh my GOD!" Her mother growled in exasperation, pinching the slope of her nose and another hand resting on her hip.

"Now honey, she's just a baby–"

"She's 19! She's in university!"

"Ok, a child. It's a good university so she obviously works hard and is smart." He quickly interjected with a firm hand on her shoulder, "At least she didn't die.."

"Well she's gonna die from stupidity sooner or later!"

Just then, her doctor entered the room with a small smile that meant he had good news.

"Well, Jane, she's completely fine. No fractures or anything. She's good to go."

"Have you checked her for alcohol and drug?"

The doctor, a family friend, remained silent but it was more than enough for Jane to know that consumption of alcohol and perhaps drug had in fact been the trigger to the incident. Julia gulped, she knew that look in her eyes and she was rewarded with a good thump in her head.

"OW! Mum!"

"You're lucky we're in public place and we have rules here! If this was Nigeria––"