Chapter VIII: The Summer Holiday

Thank you guys for those who reviewed and alerted my story:)

-------------------------------

Time unmercifully ticked by and July was approaching. While Vincent seemed wholly unfazed by the mounting works and tests, she knew he was just as stressed as any students were in their exam season. Strangely, although she didn't mind and enjoyed his company as well as the amount of cakes and sweets he brought along, he began to use the barn to study rather than holing himself in the corner of library like he did before.

She didn't bother him and he didn't talk to her other than asking her help for certain questions he struggled – and if she didn't know, they worked together to figure it out; or, in rare time he decided to give himself a rest away from the books, initiated the conversation by asking her about her world or her life.

Today, she was showing him how a phone worked.

"Thank the battery lord that I always prepare an extra battery, charger and 100% charged phone." Julia jabbered excitedly as they were currently engrossed in one of the videos in her photos.

It was a video her friend in media department edited of their holiday to Ibiza, Sihanoukville coast, Machu Picchu, Salar de Uyuni, Labun Bajo, Komodo Islands, Rinca Island, Pink beach, Gili Laba, Mount Rinjani and skydiving over Victoria Falls to look like one of those expensive travel vlog they saw on social media. In reality, they took the cheapest routes they could find and backpacked most of their way to the next while showering once a fortnight and cleaning themselves with wet wipes. Not as glamorous as the videos looked but traveling has always been their dream that they spent three years part timing to save up the fund to go somewhere.

"I nearly died during skydiving but it was so beautiful."

"People in the modern time jumps out from the sky willingly, even with the possibility of death?" Vincent frowned in confusion, "And everyone is partially undressed. The flying metal bird, while ingenious, sounds outrageously dangerous and scientifically impossible...and this contraption of yours'..your world it's very..chaotic."

"Sure the idea of the plane – the proper name for flying metal bird – and phone seems impossible but so am I being in your time so let's never say never. And yes we throw ourselves out of the plane and we pay to do it."

Vincent, now knowing how touch screen worked and that flicking right would proceed to next picture or videos, gave an exasperated look before taking the phone from her and albeit with awkwardness with its handling, operated the phone with more ease than at the beginning.

See, even a 19th century Victorian person can get used to modern apparatus given enough time and gentle induction.

Julia took her attention to Vincent's book on chemistry and biology, comparing to modern knowledge she knew while occasionally checking the screen to see what he was seeing. He was still in her photos, swiping on various pictures and videos.

"Is this your family?"

She turned to look and it was indeed her family picture including her dad during Halloween where they decided to dress up as Addams family, looking all stern and fear-inducing with her dressed as Wednesday and her sister deciding to dress up as Amanda.

"Halloween costume, that's my mum, my dad and my sister, Kylie."

He left it at that and returned to more perusing.

"What is this picture supposed to be? You have many pictures like this." He held it up for her and found herself lost as how she could explain what it was.

"It's called memes."

Vincent raised a brow in silent plea for the explanation to be put into words he could comprehend.