Chapter V: Antinomy

Thank you guys for those who reviewed and alerted my story:

-------------------------------

Julia wasn't sure what she imagined when one mentioned Victorian London. The city was oddly familiar yet alien; it was almost like the scenes from many historical movies she's seen yet something felt different. The people, the architecture, the ambience. It's a bustling Victorian metropolis, thriving, sooty and poverty-stricken and the air itself was chocked with heavy smog hovering below the sky. Filth was everywhere: horse traffic filled the streets with dung, household rubbish uncollected and cesspools brimmed with 'night soil'.

Down the side of the roads were vendors selling a wide array of objects from ordinary buttons and cuffs to glittering gemstones, from so-called 'magical' elixirs promising beauty and health to exotic animals imported from all over the world. Carriages passed by and she could hear the faint ringing of ship's bells arriving to the dock. A gypsy man with a rugged violin showcasing his jolly musical skill next to the dingy bookstore, his worn, feathered hat by his feet, collecting coins. Julia nearly bumped into a street orphan sprinting past her, hounded by an angry baker shouting 'Stop him!' No one did.

Julia blinked.

This is Victorian London, the jewel of England.

"Is it close to your impression?" Vincent asked, noting her stillness. Something he thought was unusual, given her loud, out-spoken disposition. Although, he did wish he could see that quietude in her more.

"I don't know." Julia muttered, frowning "..I'm so fucking confused."

Vincent quickly glanced around, ensuring her vulgar speech wasn't heard by others before turning his gaze onto her.

"Is there anything you wished to do?"

"What do you usually do?" She asked.

"I have lunch at the café I frequent, visit the bookstores, buy few things I may need and walk around until it is time to leave."

Her hand rested up on her chest as though she was having a heart attack, eyes glowered, "You're telling me you wasted two hours of your life that you're never gonna get back of and two hours of freedom from the most boring school ever to eat and read?"

"It's fun."

"It's boring." Julia shook her head, "Do you really have nothing to do here? What do your other fun-loving friends usually do?"

Vincent was initially silent, speaking up after a minute, shadow framing his face as his eyes slightly hardened, "They fuck whores, drink, smokes and gamble. Is that what you wish to do?"

Julia would be lying if she hadn't been taken aback by his sudden wounding boldness, her teasing expression slipping into stunned, wide-eyed look. She quickly recovered, dismissing the harshness in his words.

"Finally, something I understand." Julia exclaimed in relief, "I like all that. You wanna try?"

"What?" Vincent frowned.

"You wanna do it in the order you said it or nothing in particular?" Julia retorted, "What's wrong with seeing fun in that?"

Vincent sighed in defeat, shoulders slagging, "What do you wish to do first?"

"Hmmm, shagging with a prostitute sounds interesting way to pass the two hours."

"..But they are mostly females." He said, leaving it unfinished.

"I like girls." Julia grinned, "Different from guys you know."

Vincent blinked, registering her words and coy smile before his face flushed hot red.