Chapter IV: Prayer

A/N: This chapter has been slightly altered from its original posting on 19th December 2018.

-------------------------------

"You are much more mellow when sober." He commented while leaning against the haystack near her makeshift bed with half bitten bread in his hand. Julia was currently enjoying her second piece of cake.

"Yeah, I'm much more fun when I'm high, aren't' I?" She mentioned after swallowing the piece of food in her mouth.

"High?"

"When I'm under the influence of drugs." She clarified.

"Ah..." He remembered then smiled, "I much prefer this side of you."

Her mouth stopped chewing, then looked at Vincent and gasped, "Don't be so mean!"

Vincent blinked, puzzled. His comment was meant to have been a compliment.

"Some of the best and nicest people are high people!" She defended.

Vincent sighed, she reminds me of Diedrich...always in their own little world, impulsive and clueless. Then again, this may be her own way of dealing with things.

"I have enjoyed the small cakes you have given me." He told her.

She tilted her head as if reaching out inside her memory to figure out what 'little cakes' he was referring to.

"Oh!" She nodded, "You mean the Jaffa Cakes? I never came across anyone that didn't like Jaffa Cakes!"

"Tell me about your world." He suddenly mentioned, "I want to know."

"Hmm..." Julia stared at the ceiling, mustering up her memories, "Uh, I don't know where to start. The world changed so much."

"Then start with yourself."

She smiled, "Well, I was born in '98–1998 and my sister was born two years after me. My mum's family is originally from Nigeria, moved before mum was born and my dad was born in UK but his parents are from Texas. I'm also part Italian, Irish, Filipino and German from both my grandparents side. It's complicating, I'd love to do some DNA test to see what other roots I've got. Anyway, my parent both went to same school. She was year three, so she was like seven I think and he was year five, so ten. My dad told her that she needed to shave her legs –– I have no idea why and he doesn't really know why he said it–– so she kicked him in his balls." Vincent tilted his head and elevated a questioning aristocratic brow, "Fast forward few more years, they met again in the café she was working and he kept spilling his coffee so she would have to come clean it up and they got married, had me and my sister and divorced when I was seven."

Vincent allowed the information to sink in. It was fascinating how much the world seemed to have change from the way she worded certain phrases or meant certain things or even how people behaved.

"And the society is fine with..divorce ?" He asked. The fact that she spoke of such personal affair easily seemed to hint that people's views on the subject have become much kinder.

"Yeah, we're much more relax on subjects like that. They weren't happy together and it doesn't always work so why stay in a relationship that's just gonna hurt you all the time? And before I ended up here, I just finished my second year at uni so I was out celebrating with my friends."

"Uni?"

"University."

"You went to university?" He repeated, as if it was an absurd concept.