Chapter 7

- Oh, sorry, I didn't want to interrupt your privacy…

- It's OK, I'm already leaving.

Anjali went to the terrace to get a glimpse of sunrise and arrange her thoughts before the pooja… and the person she had least expected to meet there was Javed. She was startled by his presence and not totally because of her preferred solitude for this time… but because it was Javed. There was something about him that unsettled her…

Javed said simply:

- I'll take my leave now, if you excuse me…

And then it hit Anjali. His clothes! Javed was wearing traditional dark blue kurta suit and was holding a small round cap. Praying cap.

- You were praying! - exclaimed Anjali in surprise.

Javed looked surprised as well… and a little bit offended. His answer was short:

- Yes, and?

- Well, I… - Anjali didn't know how to cover up her outburst when Javed spoke again:

- It's time for Fajr and I'm pretty sure you know that Salah is obligatory for all Muslims. And I'm a Muslim if you haven't known before…

Anjali's face beamed with shame:

- No, I've known from the very beginning… It's just that I didn't think of you as a religious type of person so…

She stumbled as Javed came very close to her so Anjali had to raise her head to look him in the eyes. Javed watched her fixedly… like he was looking for some answers. Longingly… like he wanted something of her…

Then suddenly his expression tightened and his eyes narrowed angrily:

- You don't know a thing about who I am and what "type of person" I may be. So don't label me. Never!

And with that Javed left the terrace. Anjali followed him with her gaze trying to decipher his last words. To no avail.