Chapter 9

- Do you think he would tell her?

Arnav was lying on the bed embracing Khushi whose head was rested on his chest, she kept smiling listening to his heartbeat.

- Sure he would tell her! He loves her! And he tends to tell the deepest feelings only under duress.

- Oh yeah? And how do you know that?

There was no hostility in Arnav's voice, no suspicions or hurt - he was just curious how exactly his wife knew everything.

- Well, I know one person who's very similar to Javed-ji… and if I remember correctly all the big confessions he ever made were said in a very emotional state..

Arnav smile to himself when he heard Khushi's definition of his character. She was good with understanding people… Way better than him.

- And how do you know that Jev will be pushed to reveal his true feelings?

- That little show we've put up for Di earlier today will trigger her need to protect you and she will confront him. Trust me, Arnav-ji, she will scream at him and he will be forced to say that he loves her… not me.

Arnav couldn't see her face but he knew she was smiling. Because they've already have had a discussion about the reasons Jev has acted the way he did… and now it was even funny to remember his jealousy acting from before.

- Khushi, I just don't understand… why do you think he loves my sister? Sure thing, he's charming and all… but he's like this to everybody! What is that special about him that makes you think he loves her? I mean… I know him for ages and I haven't seen it coming… But now, when you've said it… it feels like I've known it all the way! I just don't understand what signs have I missed!

Khushi prompted herself on an elbow and smiled widely:

- It bugs you that your brilliant analytical brains have missed this crucial piece of information about two closest people you have in this world?

She was picking on him - he understood that much… but very gently, very lovingly so he could take it easily:

- To be honest - yes! I've missed it and I feel like if I had known it before Di's life could've played out very different…

Arnav's face shadowed and Khushi understood immediately what "difference" he meant - Shyam. She leaned to kiss his chest and said softly:

- Don't be so harsh on yourself - anyway you would do no good in a matchmaking with the attitude you have had before… I remember your attempts for Akash and Payal's relations… let's just say that they are together not because of you but despite of you!

Arnav took a strand of Khushi's hair and studied it with absentminded smile. Yes, it was truth - Khushi has changed him to an extent when he could recognise love around him… But he still missed this case…

- OK, but what's about Jev? You know him for two weeks and you feel him better than I do!

- Oh… he gifted Di a saree on her favourite colours. He helped HER with grocery bags, not me. And there are more subtle but significant signs… the way he is attentive to her needs… how he stops talking to listen when she starts to talk… how he is about her… It's hard to explain, Arnav-ji… But I just know!

Arnav clarified:

- But Di's favourite colour is red! She wears red sarees all the time, she likes red roses…

- Even I like red roses and wear red sarees… But red roses are just my favourite flowers and red is your favourite colour so I tend to wear sarees of this colour for you… Same goes for Di… Not Di but Shyam-ji loved red on her…

Khushi silenced and set on a bed. A sound of approaching heavy footsteps alerted both of them and Arnav has reached a door before he has heard a knock.

Arnav opened a door, Khushi close behind him. It was Javed:

- Sorry, I know it's late… man… but I need to talk to you… Now!