Mean Mr. Ed

[Yes, Carl has a younger sister in this if you haven't figured out already :)]

The woman with short grey hair, Carol, I found out was the momma of a 12 year old girl here called Sophia and the wife of the fat oaf called Ed. He reminded me of my daddy so I stayed away from him but that didn't stop him from sending me evil glares while he smoked his cigarettes.

Carol was sewing with Rick's wife called Lori. Everyone was doing something. Carl was with that Shane guy and Sophia was sat with Rory just a few feet away from their mothers. I sat by myself in the dirt, outside Merle and Daryl's tent. I really hoped he brought Merle back and then we could leave this camp.

"Hey, girl," I heard a voice say and I looked up to where it came from and saw Sophia and Rory looking at me, "you wanna come play with us, girl?"

It was Rory that was speaking and referring to me as girl. I would of been happy to go over and play if it wasn't for my brothers being the outcasts here and everyone acting like I was a ticking time bomb ready to go off but I was just angry earlier because of what they did to Merle. I walked over to them anyway.

"My name ain't 'girl', it's Marnie," I replied, and the girl, Rory, grinned. She looked a lot like Lori with shoulder length brown hair with bangs, and blue eyes. She was tall and skinny too and seemed to be more on the tomboy side.

"Well, Marnie, I'm Aurora but you can call me Rory," she greeted. I didn't tell her how I already knew that, "This is Sophia. She's a little shy."

"I'm not," Sophia said in a soft tone of voice. These girls seemed nice but Rory began rambling on about a lot and I realised it would probably be a while before she stopped running her mouth so I walked back over to my tent and went inside, sitting down on one of the small cots, when something caught my eye under the other cot.

It was my stuffed bear, Jingles.

I jumped from the cot and picked him up, hugging him close and breathing in his soft scent. He smelled of apricots and cigarettes. I looked down at him. He still had the red ribbon tied around his neck, the bell that inspired his name was gone because it fell off ages ago when the Kleine's dog got ahold of him and tore half of Jingle's head off. We got it back on but we lost the bell, and Jingle's head is all sideways.

"Um, Marnie?" I heard a young voice ask. I turned and saw Rick's son, Carl, stood at the entrance of our tent. He wasn't like his sister, she seemed to be more talkative, "Wanna come catch frogs with me, Rory and Shane down by the quarry?"

I smiled, "Yeah!" I dropped Jingles on the cot carefully and followed Carl towards the quarry where Shane was giving Rory a piggyback ride. We got there and I saw the women washing the clothes.

"Hi Marnie!" yelled Rory. She was waving her arm fast and Shane said something to her and she did a motion to zip up her lips. She's strange. Carl and Rory jumped into the shallow part of the water, and I wandered over to the women to see them talking and laughing.

"I miss my vibrator," said Andrea. I scrunched my face up, confused, as Carol added a quick 'me too' and they all burst into loud laughter.

"What's a vibrator?" I asked. They all grinned and shared a look which made me feel smaller because that's the grin Merle makes when he says something I don't understand.

"Nothin', honey," said Andrea with a smirk. Loud footsteps were heard and I turned and saw Ed stood there, glaring down at me with a cigarette between his fat dirty fingers. He smelled so much like Daddy. He scared me. I was maybe the size of one of his legs but probably even smaller.

"Get outta the way, kid," he spat. I moved sideways and tripped backwards. I landed next to Carol who jumped up to help me up when Ed yelled.

"Leave 'er!" he said angrily and Carol dropped her soft grasp and I got myself up. I felt my heart thumping against my chest because Ed scared me that much.

"Ed, she was just helping up a little girl that fell because she was moving out of your way," said Andrea with a glare, "Are you all right, Marnie?"

She seemed to be a different person from what I saw at the rooftop. I nodded, unsure. I wanted to get out of here and back up to Jingles and our tent. Maybe if I stayed with Rory and Carl I wouldn't be here.

"She ain't her kid and she fell 'cause she's a clumsy little shit, her fucking sneakers are on the wrong feet," sneered Ed, taking a puff of his cigarette. I looked down. I couldn't see the difference but I have always had trouble telling my shoes from right and left. I wanted so bad to walk away, but I was frozen on the spot. 

Suddenly, Andrea yelled at Ed and everyone was shouting, I was shoved backwards again and Carol was slapped, then Ed was dragged by Shane who began punching him in the face repeatedly. I was breathing hard. Rory and Carl were gone now.

"Marnie, are you all right?" someone asked. I looked up and saw Amy. I nodded and stared at Shane beating up Ed. It reminded me of when Daryl did the same to Daddy. Amy hid my face in her shirt and I heard Carol crying. Why was she crying that hard? Did her face hurt that much?

I looked up and saw her crying beside Ed's bruised body, whispering and whimpering. Why was she sad he got beat up? He hit her and pushed me and he was rude. Shane said he's a cop, so he did the right thing, didn't he?

I didn't want to think about it anymore and when Amy took me back up to the camp, I hid in our tent under the blanket with Jingles, where I fell asleep to his apricot and cigarette smell, and soft fur pressed against my face.

[WORD COUNT: 1081]