Explosions

When I woke up again, Daryl was still fast asleep. I tried to cuddle against him again but I was hungry and he smelled of wine, so I decided to just get my clothes on before taking Jingles and leaving our room.

I saw Lori and Carl and Rory walking too and Lori smiled at me softly. I think she's come to like me, but I still think she dislikes Daryl.

"Your brother still sleepin'?" asked Rory. I nodded.

"You can sit beside us," invited Carl. I thanked him silently and followed them. There were others in the room where we ate yesterday. It was still dark with lights on the table.

"Morning," they said and Lori said it back. We took a seat and T-Dog put something that looked like eggs on our plates.

"Eggs, powered, but I do 'em good," he chuckled. I desperately wanted to wait for Daryl. I still didn't feel comfortable being alone with these people, especially after they left Merle right when I was with them.

Rick came in while we were eating, with red eyes and he was clutching his head painfully.

"Are you hungover?" asked Rory cheekily. Lori and Rick looked to her.

"Mom said you'd be," added Carl. I knew what that meant, Merle was always hungover at home when he came back early in the morning. Daryl rarely drank.

"Mom is right," replied Rick, taking a seat beside Lori.

"Mom has that annoying habit," smirked Lori. I ignored their talks about protein and eggs and just continued eating slowly.

It was only when Daryl entered behind Dr. Jenner, the wine in his hands still, and it looked to be a new bottle as it was over half way full.

"You hungover?" I whispered when he ruffled my hair to greet me. He grumbled under his breath and took another gulp.

It did remind me of Daddy then. He always drank, even more than Merle. Sometimes he didn't come home for days when he drank and I enjoyed that.

"Dr, I don't mean to slam you with questions first thing--" started Dale. Dr. Jenner was pouring himself a glass of water when he interrupted him.

"But you will anyway," he said solemnly.

"We didn't come here for the eggs," said Andrea. I had finished mine now. They filled me up but they didn't have any taste, but I was raised not to be ungrateful, at least not show my ungratefulness anyway.

"Follow me," he said after a moment of silence. I looked to Daryl for confirmation and he nodded his head in the direction. I grabbed Jingles and left my seat, following behind the adults.

We reached a big room with tables and computers and a weird ceiling with dim lights, plus a giant TV screen, but it didn't look real. It looked like something from those futuristic movies, not that I've seen one.

"Give me play-back of TS-19," Dr. Jenner said suddenly, clicking a few buttons. I wondered who he was talking to when a robotic voice came through.

"Play-back of TS-19."

I was confused and a little spooked by that, especially when a weird picture showed on the screen. It seemed boring and I found myself swinging Jingles playfully as the adults talked. Even the other kids seemed bored.

I looked up at Daryl and he seemed interested but I was just glad he left the wine back at the table.

I looked at the screen, it looked like a person's head but it was blue and weird. The brain started turning black and the person on the screen began moving.