Highway

Everyone was quiet as we drove. We had come to a stop just a bit from the CDC so everyone could get into the other vehicles. That meant Daryl had to ride Merle's motorcycle and I was with the others in the RV, as Carol and Sophia decided to stay with Carl and the others, which meant no room for me.

Andrea's eyes looked dead, like the light had been taken from them. They were just a dull blue. I wondered if mine were like that, but Daryl's seemed to shine no matter what so I hoped mine did too.

"How you doing, kiddo?" Glenn asked softly. I looked up at him, noticing he was talking to me. I shrugged.

"Why's everythin' changing?" I asked quietly, eyes wide. Glenn swallowed hard.

"You mean like leaving the CDC?" he asked, confused. I shook my head.

"I miss home. I dun' like the walkers, why are they 'ere?" I frowned. The others in the RV didn't seem to be listening. I was glad for that, not wanting too many people talking to me at the same time.

"I dunno, kiddo. You shouldn't think about the bad stuff, just look on the positive side, all right?" he didn't seem very convinced by his own advice.

"What positive? What does that mean?" I asked. I've heard the word before, just don't know the meaning. I guess that's another thing I hate, being the youngest and not knowing as much as the adults and older kids.

"Good side, like, what has happened that's good? Can you think of one or more?" he asked sheepishly. I blinked.

"No. But I can say lotsa bad things." I replied shortly. He sighed.

"Don't think of the bad things, then, okay? Just try to find the good things and you'll be all right. We'll all look after you." he said. I didn't reply.

I tried to think of the good things, but I couldn't. We didn't have Jacqui anymore, or Jim, or Merle. I wanted Merle so bad. He'd know what to do in this situation, he'd help us. Daryl misses him. I can tell.

"Hey, where's your teddy bear?" asked Glenn. I bit my lip.

"He gots blowed up at the CDC. That's anotha bad thing," I said. He glanced towards the ground awkwardly.

"That's all right. We'll get you a new one if you want, how old are you, 6?" he asked. I shook my head.

"7. How old are you?" I asked. He chuckled.

"21, turning 22 in the winter." he said.

"You're old," I said and his eyes widened, causing me to giggle, "Don't worry, ya ain't as old as my brother. He's 36, and Merle's 41!"

I suddenly got sad at the thought of my oldest brother. I pictured him, back at the quarry looking for us with one hand. Would he cry for us?

"Let's try talk about good things, okay? Like, what's your favourite colour?" he asked. I shrugged.

"I dunno. I like brown." I said. He blinked. "Or blue, same colour as my eyes. Daryl says I got the Dixon Blue's."

"They're nice colours. My eyes are brown and yours are blue, like your two favourite colours." he pointed out. I smiled genuinely.

"Yeah!"

I felt the RV come to a stop, and Glenn got up and sat at the front with the map. I saw Daryl come past on his motorcycle.

"See a way through?" asked Dale. That's when I saw it, all the abandoned cars in the highway, things falling out of the trunks and onto the concrete. Daryl nodded and drove back off.

We drove slowly and I looked through the marked up window of the RV. I could hear flies buzzing, like at the CDC.

"Don't look, Marnie," said Andrea. She sat by me and flung an arm around my bony shoulders. I listened and hid my face in her chest. I wasn't used to having women hug me, just my brothers. It was nice.