Prison

It was scary.

Tall metal gates with sharp, spiky barbed wire on the top surrounded the whole building, protecting it. Walker's grimy rotten hands gripped the fence, some even biting it, trying to reach us. Their horrid snarls and growls filled the forest's silence as Glenn tied the hole we had cut with wire cutters back up so nothing could get in. I didn't like it one bit, choosing to hide behind Rory because I knew she wouldn't notice and even if she did, she wouldn't question me.

The familiar grumbles of the creatures made my heartbeat race, mind going back into the darkness of my brain and dragging the horrible memory out, my hands squeezing together so tight my bitten nails dug slightly in my skin, but the tenderness where I had bitten too far hurt more than any nail ever digging in my skin.

"Come on, hurry," Rick ordered everyone in a whisper.

Us kids had been instructed to hold hands when running places so none of us got lost, because there would always be an adult holding onto one of our hands. Rory's palm wrapped around mine and Carl got my other one so both of my little hands were enveloped, then they ran with everyone.

We didn't run super fast, just jogged, but the walkers on the other side of the fence growled and attacked it, trying to bite their way to us. For once I was glad to always be in the middle of the Grimes siblings.

We ran until we reached the entrance which was blocked off by a turned over truck.

"It's perfect," Rick murmured as he stared at the walker ridden field. I blinked at him incredulously but remained silent, panting slightly from running. "If we can shut that gate, prevent more from filling the yard, we can take off these walkers. We'll take the field by tonight."

"So how do we shut the gate?" Hershel asked.

Glenn stepped forward. "I'll do it. You guys cover me."

"No. It's a suicide run," Maggie intervened.

"I'm the fastest," he retorted.

"No, you, Maggie, Beth and Rory draw as many as you can over there," he pointed over in a direction. "Pop 'em through the fence, but not you Rory, you just try your best to get their attention.

Daryl, go back to the other tower with Marnie, Carol, you've become a pretty good shot, take your time, we don't have a lot of ammo to waste, Hershel you and Carl take this tower," Rick ordered.

"I'll run for the gate."

Daryl took my wrist in his and began running over towards the other tower. The large metal door creaked open and I knew that if I had to push that open on my own, I'd have to use the whole of my body and it would still be a struggle.

"Am I gonna shoot 'em?" I asked Daryl. He loaded the rifle and stared at me.

"Like hell ya are, you're gon' sit there and be quiet. Don't need no distractions," he ordered me.

I grumbled but obeyed. "All I am is a distraction," I mumbled angrily under my breath. Daryl didn't hear me as they had started shooting, the gunshots loud and roaring, especially Daryl's one as it was so close.

I picked at the dirty metal ground in annoyance. I was glad to not have to do any big responsibilities but that's all everyone referred to me as. Distraction. Small. Weak. Young.

Even if they didn't outright say it, they implied it. If I was such a small, young and weak distraction why didn't they just leave me someplace to die and rot ?

I shivered at the thought of that happening. Daryl would never do that to me. He loves me. At least I hoped he did, because he's never actually said it, but most of the time, actions speak louder than words.