A Shocking Discovery

The next day things were looking better. Carl was finally awake and Daryl was able to leave Hershel's house but was still told to rest in his tent. He was asleep last time I checked on him so I decided to visit Carl instead.

"You've been sleepin' for days!" I exaggerated, fingers gripping the wooden end of the bed. "I thought you weren't ever gonna wake up."

Carl looked considerably better than last time I saw him. He had the rosy colour back in his cheeks and was breathing normally. His hair wasn't drenched in sweat and sticking to his forehead like the previous times. He looked lively.

"I did wake up, a few times but it was always night when you were sleeping. I think I just needed to get my sleep cycle back to normal. Hershel even says 'cause I've been resting, I'll be able to get out of bed today."

That surprised me, because Rory didn't tell me that, but then again she was probably asleep too and even if she knew, she didn't think it was a big deal.

"The farm is nice and sunny. You'll like it, it's really big too. We ain't seen one walker either." I said happily.

"Sophia will like it." he mumbled sadly. Immediately the room was filled with sad tension and I didn't know what to say or do to make it better, so I was more than Glad when Lori walked in with Hershel.

"Are you sure he's all right to get out of bed?" Lori asked skeptically, holding a pile of clothes for Carl. Hershel nodded softly.

"He's been asleep and resting for a few days. A little walk around the farm will do him some good; he needs the fresh air."

"Okay. Marnie, why don't you go see Rory? She's feeding the chickens. Carl and I will join you in a few minutes." Lori said. I nodded wordlessly and waved goodbye to Carl.

Rory wasn't feeding the chickens. She was trying to pick up the baby chicks with his grimy hands. The poor creatures were squawking helplessly, flapping their useless yellow wings to escape from her but to no avail. Rory managed to grab one.

"You're 'sposed to be feedin' 'em, not pickin' 'em up and frightenin' 'em." I chided. She ignored me and petted the little chick's fluffy yellow head. It had finally calmed down in her grasp but look out of place and uncomfortable.

"You pick one up, they're real soft and cute," she said. I eyed the stray chicks on the grounds and noticed there weren't any chickens to look after them. They were pecking the seedless dirt ground searching for their breakfast.

"They're hungry. Your momma and Carl and comin' too." I informed her, grabbing the seed bag from the side.

She finally placed the chick down and it toddled towards its companions, seeking comfort. "I'd rather my daddy be here, but he's too busy with searching for Sophia."

That piqued my interest. "Why don't you want your momma?" I sprinkled some seeds down, the chicks chirping happily and eating. I saw Lori and Carl in the distance door, exiting the house. Carl was dressed, his dad's sheriff hat on his head. Lori was helping him walk but he looked like he was doing fine.

"She's always with Carl now, she loves him more," she said, plonking herself down on the ground, her head resting in her palms.

"No, she doesn't. Carl got hurt real bad, so she's just worried 'bout him." I said, but I didn't know if that helped or not. I've never had troubles with a mother because I don't remember her.

"Here, Carl, why don't you feed the chicks?" I offered him the back and he took it gratefully, eyes lighting up at the small farm animals.

Lori took a seat on a bench, frowning at the sight of Rory sitting on the muddy ground. "Rory, if you're going to sit down sit on the bench. You're going to get your clothes dirty and we've only just washed those ones."