Randall

I could practically see the tension between Daryl and Carol the next morning, but I didn't address it because then he would of known I wasn't sleeping and I didn't want to get in trouble.

Apparently Glenn and Rick had been out all night too to fetch Hershel, but they still weren't back. Lori had gone out to get them and crashed, which caused her forehead to have a big gash on it.

"Guess what, Marnie!" Carl exclaimed happily, sitting down beside me on the porch steps with Rory in tow. I looked at them expectantly, my overall strap too big and hanging from my shoulder.

"Mom's havin' a baby!" Rory said in a joyful voice. She seemed to be even happier than Carl.

I still found this news exciting. I've never seen a real baby up close, just from the parents of my classmates at school, sitting in their buggies. They looked a little funny with their bald heads and the way they stare. I wonder if I looked like that too when I was a baby.

"Where's the baby?" I asked, glancing around.

Carl snorted. "The baby isn't here yet, Marnie. It's in her stomach and Mom says it'll take nine months for it to come out 'cause it's got to grow," Carl explained.

That confused me even more. "It's in her tummy? How'd it get in there?"

Rory seemed to be confused too but was quick to answer my question. "Mom said she's got an egg inside of her and to make the baby Dad had to give her the special seed. It's just like a flower or baby bird."

"Babies come from eggs?" I asked, bewildered. "What if the egg falls and cracks open? Will the baby die?"

Rory's eyes widened but Carl didn't seem too bothered. I shouldn't of said that.

"No, silly," Carl chuckled. "The egg isn't a real egg. I don't know what it is, but the baby grows and then it just...comes out. I think it comes from the belly button somehow."

"Then why do boys have belly buttons? Mom said only girls can have babies," Rory pointed out.

"Because when you're born you have a wire attached to your belly button. I don't know, ask Mom," Carl huffed with a blush.

I found it all interesting but strange at the same time. I wonder if the baby would be a girl or boy. We would have to wait nine months and that's like thousands of weeks! We won't see the little baby for a while.

We were interrupted when a car came up and stopped. Rick and Glenn emerged with Hershel. Rory, Carl and Lori obviously ran to Rick and Maggie ran forward to Hershel but surprised me when she hugged Glenn instead, who was behind her dad.

"Who the hell is that?" T-Dog broke the reunion and pointed to the backseat of the Cherokee car.

"Randall," Glenn supplied unhelpfully. Rick swallowed and ushered everyone inside. Daryl nudged me forward too.

"Are you coming in too? Where're you goin'?" I asked, eyes wide with confusion and worry.

"Gotta talk to Carol. I'll be in in a few minutes, now go on. I know you were awake last night so you best be glad I ain't scolding ya," I rushed inside at that and heard him chuckle behind me. Lori saw me and ushered me out of the room and into another where Carl and Rory were.

"It's not fair that I can't listen too. I'm the oldest," Carl muttered with an angry face, head bowed and arms resting on his knees.

"It's only a man called Randall," I said, sitting down beside him. "Why do you wanna listen to all that?"

"You don't get it, you're only seven," he said. I glared. I didn't like how people used my age in arguments. Sometimes being only seven did have its advantages but it seemed to gain two disadvantage every time a good advantage came along.