A New Generation

[Laina's POV]

Ten years after almost having to go through the thinning, I married Kellan Woods...my best friend. We had three kids; Terri, Zane, and Sophia. Each year, Kellan and I prayed that our children would never have to go through the Thinning.

I sometimes think about Blake...he helped me escape the Thinning...I miss him so much. Terri was in 7th grade, Zane was in 4th and Sophia was 1st grade...it was her first year at the school, which terrified me deeply.

It was exactly 6 hours before the Thinning when I had a nightmare. I relived a memory of the Thinning. I failed my test and they took me to the place I had forbidden myself to go ever...and they killed me...Kellan came into the bedroom with a glass of water as soon as I woke up.

"Hey, Sleepy...you ok?" I shook my head lightly. "It's test day...I'm worried about our kids." He pulled me into a slight hug against his tanned chest. "They're going to be ok...I promise..."

They're going to be ok...I let this phrase fall into my reckless brain multiple times.

6 hours later, we got to the school. Students were crowded around their parents in fear. I held Terri and Sophia tightly while Kellan held Zane. We all went through a line to get past security. A familiar man was there. Black hair and a mustache and beard. I walked up to him.

"I remember you...YOU tried to have me killed twenty years ago!" Kellan grabbed my waist. "Laina, we don't want trouble. Let's go to another line." I looked back at the man as Kellan dragged me along. I could tell he was hiding something from someone, due to his devious smile.

We got to a shorter line and looked at the sign.

4th grade.

I turned cautiously and glanced at my husband. "What was the sign at the other line?" He shrugged at me like I didn't know what I was talking about. Kellan took Zane up to a woman in the front. I eavesdropped on their conversation.

"Name?" Kellan nudged Zane closer to the woman. He got freaked out. "Name?" The woman repeated abruptly. "Z...Zane....W...Woods..." She clicked his name off of her tablet and called another officer over. That's new. Nothing has happened like that before. Another woman showed up with medical supplies. She pulled out a syringe.

"Zane Woods? I'm Ms. Grey, I need you to give me your arm please." Reluctantly, Zane held his arm straight. A few moments later, she took 3 drops of blood, and she instructed him to proceed to class...he didn't get to say goodbye.

Terri's was the exact same. This time, she said goodbye. I took Sophia to the 1st grade line and out came a man. He was dressed in brown garments and had half of his head shaved off in a curved position. He shakily held his tablet. "Name?" I answered for my daughter. "Sophia Woods." There was no nurse at the gate, but Sophia had to do something a little different before entering.

The man asked her to empty her pockets. I didn't know of anything in her pockets. She emptied both out of the hem of her skirt. One had a piece of dark chocolate, the other a little note. The man motioned to me, and I glanced at the specimens he held. He gave me the note and I read it in my head.

Dear Sophia, this is very hard for me and your mother. This is your first year of school...and it may end shortly. Just know that Mommy and I love you...so much. In case you aren't able to come home, I wanted to give you one last present...a piece of chocolate. Eating after the test is preferred. Anyway, we love you from the minute you entered this world, and we will continue to love you forevermore. Thank you for being the wonderful, kindhearted, brave, and sometimes stubborn, daughter we always wanted. I know that you'll do great at the test. I'll say it one last time because its true, we love you. Take care my little wonder worker.

Love, Daddy.

I held the note close to my heart and started to cry. The man looked at me suspiciously. I quickly pulled myself together in the most brisk fashion. I put on a straight face and continued. "It's from Sophia's doctor. They just wanted to remind you all that she is allergic to carrots." The man nodded and let Sophia through. She turned back briefly and waved goodbye. I smiled and headed back to my waiting husband.

Now all we could do was pray that they wouldn't have to go through the Thinning.