Trading Places

[Laina's POV]

As soon as I got to the school, guards surrounded me. "No parents allowed while the Thinning is commencing," one stabbed at me. "Didn't she go here?" Another questioned. Mason King stepped outside into the chilly air and smiled. "So, you finally came," he said whilst brushing my cheek.

"Let my kids go!" I demanded. "Not until you take your rightful place that you were supposed to undergo 20 years ago." He said. I nodded. King started circling me. "Perhaps a trade...I'll release Terri, if you take her place." Kellan would be mad I did such a thing, but I had to do it...for Terri.

"Take me to the Thinning now," I stated clearly. Some guards 'oohed', some laughed, some said, "She'll never make it out alive." These thoughts ran through my head in circles, almost making me faint at the slightest possible thought of dying. As I was being dragged inside the school, Kellan rushed up to me.

"Guards, release her!" He demanded. His facial expression showed that you do not want to disobey him right now. After I was released, he wrapped his arms around me. "Why did you leave the house? You know you could be killed!" He yelled. I kissed him lightly. "I had to, King offered to let Terri go. But, only if I trade for her with my life."

Kellan was speechless. "Take care of the kids, Kellan. I'm sorry to leave you so soon." I cried into his shoulder. "Shh...everything's going to be alright." He said. "I love you...." I said in a faint whisper. "I love you too, Laina." We ended with a kiss, and King pulled me back. Terri rushed into Kellan's arms and he embraced her tightly.

My other 2 kids joined them as well. It brought tears of joy to my eyes to see them all together, happy for one another. I was escorted inside. Before I rounded a corner, I looked back at my family. They were all huddled in a circle, but still looked at me. "We love you, Mommy." Sophia said. "You're so brave." Zane remarked. "Thank you for everything, Mother." Terri said. I looked at Kellan. "I'm so proud of you, Dear. I'll find a way to save you." He said. And then, they disappeared.