Worrisome World

[Laina's POV]

When we got home, I went to the kitchen and started to cry. Kellan came up to me and hugged me. "Why are you crying, love?" He said pressing his lips against my ear. "Our kids might not survive. I'm especially worried about Sophia, it's her first year at the school."

He kissed me and spoke softly into my ear. "Our kids are smart. They'll make it out." I felt a little bit better knowing that our kids had a 50-50 shot at getting out alive. I can't imagine going through the Thinning. It must be hard, everything passing right before your eyes, and then you die.

Blake Redding never made it out alive. For all I know...he's dead. He's dead along with his former girlfriend Ellie. I know Blake and I didn't know each other very well, but I felt like we had chemistry between each other. I felt like it was even more stronger than my love with Kellan. I just didn't know what to think.

[Zane's POV]

After I finished my test, Mr. Ore, my teacher, called a list of kids to the back of the classroom. I had my fingers crossed so that my friend, Darren and I didn't go through the Thinning. Mr. Ore took a deep breath and began reading the names of kids who would soon meet their doom.

"Taylor Faukin, Emma Ditto, Alise Spout, and Darren Wilkins." I stared at the door as my best friend was being dragged out to his death. Darren was thrashing in the officer's arms, the officer had to call another helper to get him out of the room entirely. I cried as I went to the rec room waiting to be picked up by my parents. I prayed that my 2 sisters also made it out alive.

[Sophia's POV]

My teacher, Ms. Hawkshaw, called out names of boys and girls to go with a strange woman who was leaning up against the door. I didn't know if it was a good thing or not to be on that list, but I waited patiently. "Florian Sanders, Thomas Joey, Haley Nichols, and Sadie Spoke." My teacher started crying which confused me.

We were all led to the rec room a few minutes later, where I met my brother was had his hands in his lap crying. "Zane, are you ok?" He shook his head intensely. "They took my friend, Sophia. And I can't get him back. I wish it was me instead of him. He's my best friend."

I hugged Zane and waited for Terri. We don't know when she'll show up, or if she'll show up at all.