What Can We Do?

[Kellan's POV]

I held Sophia's hand and hugged Terri and Zane tightly. "Dad, what are we going to do about Mom?" Terri asked, while tears filled her eyes. "I don't know, Sweetie. But, we will think of something," I said confidently. Sophia dug her nails into my hand, leaving an unbelievable mark. "They can't take away, Mommy!" She screamed.

Zane held her and attempted to calm her down gently without causing a scene. The guards that took Alaina from us came back. "The Thinning is commencing, you must leave now!" A big guy said. I nodded and turned to the side, facing a large gate. Terri patted my hand, causing my attention. Not far from where we stood was a large building called: Assuru Global.

"Good thinking, Terri. We can get some help there," I whispered softly. "Zane, take Sophia home. Terri and I have to help your mother." Zane nodded and carried Sophia to a transport bus facility. Terri and I speed walked to the large stone building, whispering ideas on what we could do to help save Laina.

[Laina's POV]

I was in the same darkened hallway that I was led into 20 years ago. Everything seemed so familiar, even though it's been quite some time. The school lockers all lined up in a tight-fitting way; marked with red dashes. The dashes must be new, because I don't remember them at all.

I looked at several kids in front of me. One, I recognized really well. It was Zane's best friend....Darren. He was about 4 kids in front of me, so I ran up a little further ahead, so I could talk to him. "Are you Darren?" I whispered softly.

He nodded and glanced at me. "Mrs. Woods?" I nodded back. "Why are you here? You don't go to this school anymore," he said confused. "I'm here to pay my debt." "And what debt is that?" He asked while glancing around to make sure the guards couldn't hear us. "I was meant to go to the Thinning 20 years ago, but, I escaped."

Darren's eyes widened. "I heard, there is a system that could shut down the Thinning once and for all." He whispered. "The power, you mean." I corrected him. "No, Assuru Global is in charge and if you shut them down, you shut the Thinning down." I stared at him confused.

"How do we shut them down?" Darren pointed to a window that showed a shipping site. "Ruin the shipments, the whole company goes ballistic. Then, shut off power line connections. Finally, flood their central base with water and oil." I nodded slowly.

We eventually got to the hallway and we put on the same gray suits they had a long time ago. This time, however, we were allowed a phone call to our families to say goodbye. That was new. I called Kellan's cell, hoping he'd pick up in time. The ringing stopped and I heard my husband's voice.

"Hello?" "Kellan, I don't have a lot of time. I need a favor...."

A/N

Hey guys! I'm finally starting this book up again! Yay! Sorry, I haven't been updating, but, hopefully you all will get more updates on this book!

See you all next time! Bye!

-jadams152 💜