goodbyes

one
grace

"god, we're gonna miss you so much." my mom and dad hug me simultaneously.

"i love you angel. more than you can imagine." my dad smiles, hugging me one last time.

"i love you too." i laugh.

"call me everyday, and don't get into too much trouble, girl. we're trusting you to make the right decisions." mom kisses my cheek and i smile. im only going to be gone for the summer, but it's probably tearing them apart inside that they can't watch my every move.

"oh, there's your brother we better leave." dad rushes, already grabbing moms hand to go. my parents and my uncle haven't been on good terms for the past couple of years, and i've never known the exact reason.

"see ya sweetie!" they quickly leave and right when they're out of my sight, i turn around to see my uncle standing right behind me.

"uncle todd!" i exclaim, wrapping my arms around him and squeezing tight.

"hey kiddo," he pulls us apart and smiles. "i haven't seen you since last year! how the hell have you grown so much?" i laugh in response.

"how have you not grown so much?" i snicker, and so does a girl standing behind todd. todd rolls his eyes.

"whatever floats your boat, kid."

"it's true. ive been working here for 3 summers straight. even his hair has barely grown." the girl smiles, her dark brown eyes gleaming. i laugh along with her.

"grace, the girl that just offended me is alisha. alisha, this is my niece, grace. she's going to be working sunrise with you." i nod and smile at her and she smiles back.

"ive got to get back to work, but alisha will introduce you to some of the people here."

"thanks todd." i nod and grab my three suitcases that are practically overflowing with clothes.

"so, grace, i assume you know where everything is, but i'll show you the people around here." i nod.

"since in a couple days, it's going to be our first day actually working, people are getting to know each other that they're working with. see, over there is the pool, so all the lifeguards are talking amongst themselves." i glance over to the pool, and i see a guy staring at me. not just a guy, a hot one. he has a small smirk on his face. even though his gaze seemed to be stuck on me, i quickly glance away.

"the warehouse is across the campus, the people that work maintenance work there. they cut the grass, and whatever needs to be fixed, they fix. the housekeepers are at the staff house so ill take you there to drop your stuff off, and then we can go to where the other sunrise people are. most of the staffers sleep there at the staff house by the way. the ones that live around here usually go back to their house." alisha pauses, recollecting her thoughts.

"oh! how could i almost forget the one that i work at," alisha laughs at herself "we're called sunrise care, but everyone just calls it sunrise. we're the ones that take the little kids everywhere. even the little kids are as mature as some the teenagers that come here. we try to distance them from the teenagers most of the time, so we don't have to deal with them. just stay patient with them. i think you'll be good with the kids. "

"the caf workers, they make the food, and we serve ourselves. we eat at the caf all the time, breakfast lunch and dinner, but we're allowed to go out on the weekends and when we're off."

i slowly process all the information. "props to you for remembering all that." alisha smiles at me and laughs.

"even i'm surprised i remembered all that."

we walk in the staff house, and memories flood back to when i recalled it as the beach house. all of the buildings reminded me of beach houses actually, but the staff house was the biggest. people were sprawled on the couches in the living room. "hey guys," alisha chirps, holding the door open for me.

"this is grace. smiths niece. it's her first year. she's working sunrise with me. these are some of the housekeepers." she finishes introducing me and i smile at them. "these guys are some of the people in housekeeping."

"i'm natalie." she had mesmerizing green eyes and red hair. freckles were spewed across her face.
"ryder." he had blue eyes, and brown hair up in a quiff.
"teresa." she had brown eyes and brunette hair with blue at the tips. they were all different in their own special ways.

"hi grace!" a girl chirps.

"bev, introduce yourself." ryder scolds.

"you just did silly goose!"

"oh my god-" i laugh at their bickering. bev had a bubbly personality, and i found it welcoming. it's a breath of fresh air when you meet people like that.

"okay, well we're going to go to our room so she can drop her stuff off." alisha interrupts and grabs my hand to walk us to what i was assuming our room.

"nice meeting you guys!" i exclaim.

"okay, so this is our room. you'll meet the other girl that rooms with us in a little bit. there's dumb strict rules where guys stay on one side of the house, and girls stay on the other. most everyone doesn't listen to that rule. the lounge is the only place where we can be at the same spot in the house, but it doesn't matter outside."

"alisha i really appreciate you he-" i get cut off by a knock on the door, even though it was open.

the same guy that was staring at me when alisha was showing me around. he was even more breathtaking up close. fluffy brown hair with a couple of red streaks in the front. dark brown eyes, and a freckle on his cheek. he was tall and muscular, so him being a lifeguard was a perfect fit for him. not to mention, he was the definition of intimidating.

he grabs my attention even more when i see what was in his hand. my bra.

"sweetheart, pretty sure you dropped this on your way here. maybe you shouldn't leave these lying on the ground. don't want all the guys to know how big y-"

alisha snatches it out of his hands. "get out of here ethan. it's her first day here! ill fucking tell smith about how-"

"we wouldn't want that, now would we?" ethan smirks. he shifts his gaze to me. "ill see you around sweetheart."

and he left, just like that.
my heart was beating out of my chest.

L I F E G U A R D

ugh i have a bunch of chapters written but i'm promising myself to finish the book and theN publish but i'm too excited. i'm just going to publish this one for now and not anymore until i finish the book wHOOPS
sorry for the cliffhanger ily