sweetheart

three
grace

"you need to wake up girly. we're gonna be late for breakfast." avery shakes my shoulders violently.

"what time is it?" i groan.

"5:50." she says simply. as if waking up this early was nothing. "breakfast is at 6."

"i know, it's super early, but you'll get used to it. eventually." alisha adds. she flops back on her bed and goes on her phone.

i sigh and get up to get ready.
this was going to be a long day, i could already feel it.

L I F E G U A R D

an intense game of soccer, two meals, and a million questions later, it was the time the kids had been waiting for all day. the time where they could go swimming. they'd been begging to go all day long, and now, here we are.

"do you guys want to go to the pool, or the beach?"

"both!" a couple of the kids exclaim.

"we can't go to both silly!" i laugh, tickling some of them, and they all burst into giggles. there were two pretty big groups of kids that we made. both with different schedules, because there was no way we could handle them all at once. my group had alisha, grayson and me while the other group had avery, jack, and chris.

"let's go to the pool, and tomorrow we can go to the beach." alisha offers, and they all cheer in excitement. a little boy named james, slips his hand in mine, and we all walk to the pool.

they all take their clothes that were covering their bathing suits off, and they set them by their towels.

"my god, they're adorable." grayson says.

"now they are, but before that, them begging to come here over and over again was not the ideal adorable experience." grayson laughs and shakes his head.

"but they're so happy now. i think it's worth it," he shrugs, taking a sip of his water bottle.

i was about to say something to grayson, but before i could, a little girl named bella comes up to me and tugs on my shirt.

"excuse me miss grace?" she asks, and i smile.
"yes, sweetie?"
"is that boy over there your boyfriend?" she points over to where ethan was, sitting in a lifeguard chair.
"oh, uh no, he's not." i muster out a laugh.

"then why is he staring at you?"

"i'm not sure. why don't you go ask him?" i look over at ethan and he's still staring. he lifts his sunglasses up, winks, and then puts them back over his eyes.

before i know it the little girl fast walks to ethans chair, i look away.

"grayson why did i say that?" i whisper-yell.

"i don't know." he shrugs, and his eyes flick back over to the kids in the pool.

"marco!"

"polo!"

"ha! i got you!"

"you opened your eyes, you cheater!" grayson goes over there to solve that little problem, leaving me alone in the shade. soon enough, bella comes back again.