a slight change

twelve
grace

just the mere thought of me having to move all of my stuff to a completely different house made me roll my eyes. the reasoning for it was even more ridiculous. my feet relentlessly dragged on the concrete, one after the other.

what did it matter to todd that me and ethan were a thing? it shouldn't be his priority to keep us apart anyways. the fact that i've always been treated like a child my whole life, causes me to sigh. but i keep walking to todd's house, doing as i'm told, but that seems like all i'll ever do.

ethan

"are you fucking serious?" ben exclaims. "you're such a dumbass for doing that." my eyes shift down to the crackling fire in front of the three of us. the sound of the waves crashing onto the sand not that many yards away covered the sounds of my groaning. i loved coming out here at night like we are now, it's relaxing, but not with these idiots.

"you got caught? and your cocky ass gave her your shirt afterwards? you're in deep shit ethan." justin laughs.

"what was i supposed to do! there's no way i could fucking prevent that. all i was doing was showing her how much i liked he-"

"what a pussy thing to say." justin cackles. "showing her how much you liked her? are you my grandma? where's the old ethan that i know."

"he's long gone justin. how many times do i have to say it to get it through your thick sku-"

i get interrupted once more. "wait, isn't that her?" ben trails off.

i whip my head around to where he was looking. and there she was, dragging her feet with a suitcase in hand. where the hell was she going? it took every ounce of my being to not yell at her, asking where she was going.

it was exactly like the first time i saw her, with her suitcase in hand, walking down the road. i was praying her bra wouldn't fall out this time, if her uncle saw me with that, my ass would already be back home.

"where is she going?" justin questions, looking back at me.

"i honestly have no clue." my heart was in the pit of my stomach. it felt like my throat was closing in, slowly but surely.

my legs just started running. i couldn't help it, it was like an instinct i've known forever. i didn't want her to leave, and i don't want her to leave ever. especially because of me. with every step she took it made me wonder if that was going to be the last time i saw her.

"dumbass! smith could be right there any minute!" justin's scolding faded away as i ran further away.

"grace!" i call out. she keeps walking, she was ignoring me. "grace what the fuck are you doing."

i catch up to her and grab her shoulders. she refused to look at me, until i grabbed her chin, her breathtaking brown eyes captivating me.

"where are you going." i pant, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

"you don't necessarily need to know."

i scoff. "yes i do grace, i'm your boyfriend, i'm supposed to know everything about you. everything."

"that's not a good idea," she trails off.
"what's not a good idea?"
"us being together, ethan." she groans, trying to get past me.

"are you serious? i just fucking got you, i'm not letting you go. and for what? doing what we're meant to do?" her eyes shut tightly, causing me to grab her hands. "being what we're meant to be?"

"you're going to get in trouble. i don't want to be the reason for that."

"you're just being overdramatic. smith will do absolute shit. i'm the best lifeguard on the staff sweetheart." i smirk. "you still never told me where the hell you're going by the way."

she sighs. "i'm moving in his house." my eyes widen. "he probably thinks it'll keep us away from each other. but knowing you, i don't think that's enough to keep us apart." her face burns a light shade of red from what i could tell by the streetlights.

"damn right sweetheart." i grin, grabbing her face in my hands. i lean down to kiss her, but instead of her eyes closing, they're as wide as saucers.

"fuck," she curses. "there's headlights, what if it's uncle todd. run ethan!"

"where the hell am i supposed to go?"

she looks around frantically, before spotting a bush on the side of the road.

"sweetheart, i'm not going in that bush-"

"just do it! you're going to get in trouble!" she exclaims exasperatingly. she pushes my chest, but i don't budge, causing her to groan loudly.

"grace, sweetheart, he won't do anything. even if he did do you honestly think i'll listen?"

"i don't want to take the chance. go away ethan!" grace exclaims. "i just don't want you to leave."

i huff in response, giving in to her. i always do, no matter how much of a badass i think i am. it's funny to me how she's the only one i will ever give in to. i always will, and that's why i kiss her lips, savoring the taste of her, before running back to the bonfire.

because you know damn well i'm not letting her go because of one shitty obstacle in the way.

L I F E G U A R D

i'm sorry this sucks bye