7. sleeping on the beach + 8. skinny dipping

grace
thirteen

i couldn't help but lay on my back, and stare at the ceiling, my breaths coming in collectively. but i swear when i heard knocking at my window, my heart stopped.

"sweetheart," i hear in a hushed whisper, making me breathe a sigh of relief. "grace open up."

i pull up my blinds, revealing ethan engulfed in the darkness, the moonlight seemingly scooping ethan up in its arms. ethans face was serious, but softened in the slightest when his eyes met mine. i pulled up my window, the cool breeze hitting my face.

"let's go to the beach, we need to talk."

"but what about-"

"now," he urges, causing me to sigh. i oblige, grabbing his hand as he helps me out the window. we took our time walking to the beach, the locusts and the sound of the waves was filling our ears. as we sat on the sand, the silence was deafening. it was like we knew exactly what we were going to say, we just didn't say it.

"you know, i was thinking about how you said that our relationship wasn't a good idea.."

"but it's not like i want it to be that way ethan. but i cant help but think, like, what if he kicked you out before the summer was over? i wouldn't be able to see you, and that would make all of this even worse!"

"don't you think i know that?" ethan scoffs. "i've changed. a lot. for you, especially. i've risked a lot of things, especially knocking on your window. i was praying to god it wasn't smith's." he chuckles, his eyes trailing to the water.

"why do you call him smith anyway? his name is todd." i raise my eyebrow.

"smith is short for john smith. staffers from awhile ago started calling him that, and i guess it stuck. i'm pretty sure it's because he has blonde hair and his ex wife was native american? i don't give a fuck anyways-" he immediately covers his mouth. "i kind of forgot you were still family, sorry sweetheart."

"eh. he's not in my best interest now anyways." i grin.

"don't try to change the subject on me cartwright." he smirks. "what i'm trying to say is that i care about you. i won't let him try to keep us apart. i'm not the guy that he expects i am anymore."

i look up at him, and he looks down at me. his eyes truly captivated me, especially when the moonlight hit them. i felt vulnerable under his gaze, causing me to look down. he lifts my chin up, and right when he does, his lips are pressed against mine, catching me by surprise. he kissed me hungrily as if he would never do it again. my heart was beating out of my chest, it honestly felt like a scene right out of a movie.

i tugged on his shirt, causing him to take it off just like he did yesterday. "picking up where we left off huh?" ethan smirks, i roll my eyes and place my lips back on his. suddenly an idea popped into my head, and i smirk. i pull away, us both panting. i stand up and grab his hands to pull him up, i couldn't even see him, but i could tell he was probably confused.

i place his hands on top of mine and i grab the bottom of my sweatshirt and pull it over my head. "grace, what are you-" i shush him in response. his hands were still on top of mine while i slipped my leggings off, his breathing was unsteady and his body language was evident of confusion. i pressed myself against him, skin touching, as i kissed him. the only thing between us was our underwear, his shorts, and my bra.

he swallowed harshly as his hands travelled up and down my body, slowly. he pecked my lips, trailing down to my neck. he eventually got to my sweet spot, causing me to let out a breath of air i didn't know i was holding in. "holy shit ethan." i breathe out.

ethan chuckles, his lips leaving me. i groan loudly.  "let's go in the water." he offers in a spur of the moment.

"you're actually insane."

"cmon grace! we could skinny dip- i mean for a new firsts sake of course." you could hear the smirk in his voice.

"fine." i roll my eyes with a smile as i walk to the ocean, leaving ethan behind me.

"aren't you coming?" i call out.

"i'm actually going to skinny dip, not that half ass shit you're doing." he yells, and i could barely see his figure running into the water.

L I F E G U A R D

"that was-"

"fun!" ethan laughs. "skinny dipping is empowering sweetheart."

"okay fine. it was fun, but i cant go home like this! we're both soaking wet."

ethan slips on his boxers. the darkness of the night didn't allow me to see anything. "let's sleep out here then!"

"ethan-"

"no, it'll be fun sweetheart. you can go get a blanket from your room and we can sleep on that. it's not that cold out here anyways."

"it's freezing. especially since we're soaking wet."

"okay, bring two blankets." he admits. "hurry sweetheart i want you to warm me up!"

L I F E G U A R D

hey long time no see
and just an fyi, that isn't even the main conflict lolz i have a lot planned for this book