Chapter 14: MATE

It has been 2 weeks. Two weeks since my last or rather yet first shift because trust me you cannot go around shifting and hunting and running through the forest where many couples go to have their time of the day.

I surely cannot go all werewolf on their ass!

My shift was supposed to be ethereal for me in the arms of my mate. Where I surely wouldn't have faced these many problems under the guidance of an adult wolf. I mean, right now I am having trouble in moving certain parts of my body because I think my bones just realigned in the wrong way which is giving my back a really humpy look. I had talked to Celine about it and she had promised me that in the next shift I will be able to do things right. And then she also stirred a new topic-

Mate.

Trust me. If, I would ever make a dictionary for the words that I despise or rather yet fucking hate....that single word will be on the top.

But sometimes it feels as if something in the story is not right. Something is wrong. As if I am missing something – important. At many a time, I have argued with my conscience who thought that my decision of going away without having answers was absolutely immature and impulsive.

It is only my conscience, I guess. Maybe it is even me. In the back of my mind, I have many nagging feelings that I choose not to respond to.

Also, yeah it has been two weeks since I last spoke to my wolf because she isn't interested in living in human society but yeah she did talk about the mate thingy and when I flatly refused she went wolf on my ass.

God she needs a...guy or something like that.

Mate...I want my mate.

Oh yeah? Now you decide to talk?

Fuck off.

Gladly.

But after many days of contemplating and arguing with my now violent wolf, I realized that I require a new start. A clean break. I need to forgive maybe even forget because if Knox and I made a mistake it was on both sides. Also, I think I have to apologize to Chriz because she was never at fault. Heck, even if she might have wanted to meet me someone could have stopped her.

So, a new start in my life is all I need. For that, I need to visit my past and properly bury the now-dead remains of my past.

That is all I need.

And trust me, I am struggling over here more than anything else. Being a werewolf and being away from the forest or rather yet nature is the ultimate torture.

Trust me my body is all excited about visiting the place where my soul belongs not my heart because it was all shattered and broken, remember?

Why I don't know.

What Knox did can be forgiven because he had met me for such a short time and I had surrendered all of myself to him? What is really pathetic to know that my parents didn't even care about me, their only daughter or wait fuck! They literally had a child and I am deprived of my only sibling?

Something in my heart hurts. It does.

My car enters the same boundaries that once I had so haughtily left in a daze of anger and pain. Of betrayal. But I realize that something is off when I pass the pack boundaries.

It feels as if I am being watched by someone. I look out of my car's window but find nothing which could confirm my suspicion.

The familiar scent of earth and trees hit me like terrain and an avalanche of emotions make a home in my healing heart. Only heaven knows I missed it so bad.

I drive and trust me now I am spooked because no one is out and it is barely 7 pm. There is no soul lingering outside the warm homes and their comforting beds. Everything over here is in shambles as if it was struck by a storm.

This is weird. Fucking weird.

I pull in the all familiar drive. In front of a place that happened to be my house. But the lights are switched off? Probably sleeping? So early? I get out of my car and make my way to the familiar wooden front door.

I knock.
Funk, this is weird. Even for me to knock on my front door.

But I get no answer. I push the door and it opens. Dread fills my body and I start shaking terribly. No...It can't be.

Stepping inside I find everything in the same way. The day I left this place to go with Knox and I never came back here because in the true sense I felt at ease with Knox.

Knox!

He, of all people, might know what happened. Hell, he has to know. He is the Alpha of this pack for fuck's sake.

That is when I hear it.
Howling...Wolves...howls...Cries...It is as if they are communicating with each other, sending messages and sharing information that I cannot decipher.

Then it all stops and I dread the silence which follows it. Because silences are haunted. They spook you out. They make you go all crazy inside your head.

Then I smell something really good. All masculine and domineering and powerful smell. So Alpha like.

Wtf? No. Not again. I cannot go under the troubles of having one, again.

Mate.

My wolf whimpers and I feel something moving towards me. I try to turn but then my world suddenly goes black as a sharp pain shoots throughout my body and I feel my body going limp.