Chapter 32

Diana's POV

I had fallen asleep even though I didn't mean to but once the three children fell asleep on me I barely had enough energy to write a note to Meg and send it off before falling asleep myself. Levitica was such a sweet girl but a bit demanding. Wonder who she could have gotten that trait from? The next morning when I awoke the children were still fast asleep on me. It was hard but I found a way to get out of their embrace so I could go to the balcony. Feeling so sorry for the little girl I had done what she asked and if I could somehow help her then I would. Not to mention Alec and Aegeus seemed to like her as well.

"How did you manage to escape?" A deep whispered asked breaking my concentration making me turn around and smile when I saw Hector.

"Years of practice my king." I giggle but in a whispered tone.

"I am not your king Diana, I doubt you answer to anyone even these days." Hector chuckles as he hands me a cup of something. "It's a new tea Paris brought back from one of his adventures. It's supposed to help wake you up."

"I'm not sure I should trust anything Paris has, I don't know why but he does seem to have grown up a little though." I reply as I take a sip of the tea which actually turns out to be good. "It's actually good, a calm but refreshing tea, perfect for the morning."

"I agree, Diana thank you for doing that for Levitica, I don't know what will happen when you leave. I have never seen her just accept someone or like someone as fast as she did you."

"She has good taste, just like her father." I say as I look out to the sunrise. "I will do what I can to help as long as I am here, after all I have no idea when Achilles will return...if he will at all."

"Well come, let the children rest so that we may eat in peace." Hector says offering his hand to me.

Without hesitating I take Hectors hand and we don't go far, to the next room in fact so that if the children do wake up that we would be able to hear them. Paris decided to join us for breakfast as well. Taking a handful of grapes Paris looking between Hector and I.

"So did you ask her to stay in the palace until Achilles returns?" Paris asked earning a confused look from me. "Judging by the look on her face I don't think you have brother."

"No Paris...I have not. I don't want to force or rush Diana. She just arrived in town yesterday." Hector says as he shakes his head and looks down at his plate.

"I wouldn't mind, as long as Meg doesn't need me. That way I can help with Levitica as well. Plus it's good for Alec to have friends other than his cousins."

Two days had passed and with Meg's blessing of sorts I had stayed in the palace with Alec playing with the young princess teaching her the ways to be a warrior. Watching those two play brought a smile to my face that I hadn't seen in a while. Though I was married to Achilles I knew a lot about him and his needs. After four years it wouldn't have surprised me if he took a mistress. I wasn't there to satisfy him and he couldn't have gone years without the attention. Though I had. Watching the children play I could hear Hector making his way to the gardens since he had at least four other "advisors'' following him a good two thirds of the time.

"My king, it is unwise to go a long time without a Queen. Though we all regret her passing and miss her dearly the young princess needs a mother and the kingdom needs a queen." One of the older more stuck up advisors said and then looked my way. "Not to mention it does not look good to have a commoner with you and your daughter most of the time."

"That is no commoner. She could easily kill you where you stand, she is the only woman I truly trust and you will show her respect of I will remove you from my presence as well as hers." Hector threatens the old man then without saying another word dismisses the men and walks over to me.

"You would think for someone that old that time would have made him kinder." I tell hector as I look over at him.

"I wish, instead it has made him even more of a pain. How has Levitica been for you today? Behaved I hope?" Hector questions as he sits down on the bench right beside me.

"She is good as gold, Alec is trying to teach her how to be a warrior." I chuckle as the two come running past us. "Are you alright though Hector?"

Hector looked over at me a bit surprised by my question. Many knew that he was mourning or at least should be but he seemed to always keep himself busy. Taking a deep breath Hector came a little closer to me as if he were going to tell me something that was only meant for my ear when a messenger came out of nowhere and gave something to Hector. Without thinking Hector took the parchment without looking at the seal and opened it. Reading the writing on the paper he grows stiff then eventually looks over at me.

"What is it?" I question as I move closer to him to try and be support.

Instead of speaking he hands me the message. It was from Patroclus...moving just a tad away from Hector I began to read the message that was originally meant for Meg and not me. It appeared that the most recent war was over and that he would be returning home but Achilles would not be. When it was time to begin packing to head back home Achilles took off somewhere that not even Patroclus knew and though Patroclus had looked everywhere he could he could not find Achilles.

My heart broke, not for me though, for Alec. No one knew where Achilles was or even if he was alive. Why in the world would he just take off right as they were getting ready to head back home? It didn't make any sense to me. Putting the parchment down I feel Hector embrace me as if he were showing me that he was sorry and he would somehow support me through this...even though I had no idea what this was. What had Achilles done?