Chapter 43

Diana's POV

Sneaking back inside the palace wasn't hard because Meg decided to lead me in a way she found. We quickly snuck past the guards and made it back to our own rooms. Going to the vanity, I sit down upon the stool and look at my reflection in the mirror. Removing my hood and revealing my long red hair for some reason my eyes automatically look down to the spot where Achilles necklace once laid upon my skin. Gently touching the area, I look back at the mirror when I hear my door open again. There stands Hector with a concerned look on his face.

"Are you hiding from me now Diana?" Hector questions as he walks up to me.

"I was not hiding from you, I went to Achilles to return something and tell him good bye as well as to thank him for saving my life. Meg even went with me, if you do not believe me you may ask her yourself." I tell Hector as I stand from my seat and turn towards him.

"Why did you not tell me?"

"Hector, you already have so many thoughts that occupy your mind, I didn't want to cause you any more stress than you had." I tell him honestly as I walk up to him. "You have enough pressures being king, planning our wedding as well as being a parent. If I can ease that burden even for a moment that I will."

Taking my hand in his, Hector takes my hand and places it against his cheek. Leaning into my touch I did feel bad about not telling Hector where I went but at least he was acting like he understood my reasoning.

"Please, don't just leave Diana. If something were to happen to you I would never be able to forgive myself." Hector speaks softly as he pulls me closer to him. "It would chase away all the sanity in me."

Leaning in he then kissed me passionately on the lips.

The next morning, I knew Hector was busy with his royal duties, so I wanted to keep myself occupied with anything I could, except for wedding plans, those were up to Hector because he feared I would stress out and something may happen to the baby. I doubted any of that but still went along with him.

Walking through the marble halls I could hear children's laughter. Following the sound, I found myself on the balcony above the gardens. Alec and Livitica were playing, just as though they truly were brother and sister. The sight before me made me happy and I couldn't help but smile.

"Come brother! Lunch will be ready soon and we don't want to be chased down again by aunt Meg!" one of meg's sons call out to Alec.

Turning to his cousin who insisted they were actually brothers, Alec nodded then grabbed Livitica's hand and they dashed off to have lunch. Alec felt responsible for Livitica and I was proud to see that my son was such a reliable child.

"Quite a lively bunch, aren't they?" Paris asks walking my way in his royal blue robes.

"They must take after their parents. Where have you been all day?" I question as Paris joins my side.

"Trying to avoid the throne room as much as possible, Hector plans for everything and I fear for you when you try on the dress he was describing." Paris says making a worried face.

"Oh dear, I pray it isn't something with brightly colored feathers." I joke as I laugh just a little.

"No, not that far thank the gods, it will have a long train though from what I hear." Paris continues as we being to walk the halls as well. "Diana, why did you return to Achilles? I thought you were done with him?"

Looking to Paris I could see he was concerned that I would leave Hector and once again return to Achilles. That wouldn't happen though, I was pregnant with Hector's child and though a part of me truly loved him a part of me also knew that sometimes love fades no matter how hard you tried.

"I went to return something, thank him for saving my life and tell him goodbye. I promise Paris nothing happened, just like I told Hector, Meg was there the whole time and if you don't believe me you can ask her." I respond as I sigh and look forward.

"Forgive me, I just do not wish to see Hector in pain again. I do believe you Diana, I have always known you to be a woman of your word." Paris grins until we find ourselves standing before the doors of the throne room.

Achilles POV

What madness was this? Why would Agamemnon want to attack again and lose even more men? Rolling my eyes, I walk past the messenger and being the long track to the fat kings camp. He was surrounded as usual, a woman at his side and his generals all around him. He was well protected even after the battle.

"Achilles, what do I owe to your visit?" Agamemnon asks with a chuckle as he takes a drink of his wine.

"You mean to bring forth another war? Even after ten years? Your brother is long dead and there is no reason to continue it." I begin to tell him, but he holds up his hand and stands up.

"Trying to protect the woman you once called wife will do you no good, I will have her head upon a stake for she is the one that kept me from my prize. You must do as I say or I will make sure the great Achilles will never be a named remembered." Agamemnon threatens as he brings a dagger to my neck.

"She did nothing, you had one purpose and you missed the chance to achieve it. Do not tell me you blame a woman for your defeat?" I question him as I take my own sword and push him backwards into his chair.

All the men in the room, the ones who were able to stand up that is, all came and pointed their weapons at me. They would kill me, that I had no doubt about, but I began to realize nothing I said no did would make this fat pig change his mind. Holding my arms up in surrender, I turn and look at the men before looking back to their king.

"You are outnumbered almighty warrior, what will you do now? Obey me or truly meet the gods?" Agamemnon questioned as he stood up, tall and proud.

Looking over my options I knew they weren't good and I didn't really answer him, but I did nod my head. That was enough to make the others drop their weapons and allow me to take my leave. Going back to my camp and into my tent I see an impatient Patroclus waiting for me.

"What did he say?" he questioned me as I threw my sword to the side.

"He wants her dead, that is his newest goal. Her along with Hector and Paris. He wants me to be the one to kill Diana because of our past." I reply as I grab a jug of wine.

"You wont though, will you?" Patroclus questions as I take a long drink.

"What can I do Patroclus?! If I don't kill her then one of those men in his tent that could have killed me will get to her!" I yell not knowing what else to do.

"Achilles...you have to warn her...get her out of the city, something, we can't just let her die." Patroclus says as he grabs his sword tightly.

Shaking my head, I try to think of a plan, any plan that would possibly save not only Diana but Alec and her unborn child. I couldn't care about Hector or Paris, but Diana and Alec were another story. Running my hand through my hair all the plans I came up with were useless. Even if I tried to warn her, Agamemnon would find out and track her down anyway. The only way maybe to convince the old man I was on his side and at the last minute save her.

"Please cousin, tell me you have a plan." Patroclus says as he now decides to care about Diana.

"I have one idea, it's a shot in the dark and it might not even work."

"Then it's worth trying, if anything happened to Diana, Meg would kill us both." Patroclus says and I completely believe him.