Chapter 41

Diana's POV

Right after telling Meg my news was when the doors to the room burst open. There stood Paris and he didn't look happy at all. He had a serious look on his face and I couldn't tell if he was angry at me or perhaps something that I had done.

"You are needed in the throne room." Paris spokes with a straight face.

"How did you know she would be awake?" Meg questioned stepping before me, as though becoming my own human shield.

"I didn't, if Diana wasn't awake then I would have taken you Meg. Still we need to go, now." Paris instructed as he turned and waited for me to join him.

Picking up the hem of my dress I walk to Paris side and look at him. Usually I could read Paris like a book but this time he was just acting stern. Nothing I said would make his facial expression change and deep down I knew that wasn't a good sign. Following him to the throne room we stop right outside the door where Paris takes something from a servant nearby. Turning my way, I watch as he carefully place that golden crown of leaves upon my head.

"You must never remove this, no matter how much you may hate it. Just like Hector and I you are now a symbol to the people here. No, you don't have title yet but the child you carry inside you does." Paris spoke quietly as though he knew I hadn't told anyone else.

"How did you know?" I question him in shock.

"I heard you tell Meg right before I walked in. You have to tell Hector though, if he finds out I knew before him he may have both of our heads.' Paris said with a small smile. "What is beyond these doors Diana will test you, probably in a way you never thought you would be tested. Be ready."

Nodding as if to accept Paris's challenge I turn with him as the doors open and we walk inside. Once we did I could hear one of the older advisors questioning someone. It wasn't until I got to the center of the room that I saw Achilles chained down to the floor his shirt missing, not that that was unusual, but the whip marking upon his body made me look to the man questioning him on the floor. It wasn't Hector and when I looked around to find Hector he was nowhere to be seen.

"They sent Hector away to another village before they did this, apparently they caught him last night and are now about to sentence him." Paris whispered to me. "Do what you must."

"You were banished and yet you have the gull to return!" the advisor yells as he goes to strike him again but instead of striking Achilles he strikes my hand and I hold the whip in place. "You! What in the name of the gods are you doing here?!"

Clearly, he was not expecting to see me, that's when I began to wonder. Maybe the advisor was in on something to get me out of the picture. Using my strength, I pull as hard as I can, and the whip comes straight to my hand. Clearing his throat, I can tell he about to make another long speech, so I stop him in his tracks.

"You are not the king! What right do you think you have to pass sentence on someone let alone beat them when you hold no title at all!" I yell at the advisor who looks to Paris for help however Paris just shakes his head and looks at me.

"She speaks the truth, if Hector knew what you were doing he would have your head." Paris comments with a sigh.

"You fool! Has she bewitched you too?! I am doing what needs to be done, Achilles could not even stand this woman and banished her from his side only to have her end up with Hector. She is nothing more than a whore!" the advisor yells to the crowded room who only look away from him.

"She's not a whore...she carries a future heir...Hector will kill you for endangering her..." Achilles speaks up at he lifts his head up to meet the advisors gaze. "I never banished her...she is the mother of my son...I gave her freedom to do what her heart wanted...even if her heart didn't want to be with me."