Part 7- Preparation for war

Kraven walked along the dock, checking on the progress that the army was making.
"Is the fleet ready to sail?"
He asked.
"Not yet. It should be in a few minutes."
A Viking replied.
"Good. Get those ships loaded. We need all the supplies we can get. Verana won't be easy to capture, so we need to be ready."
Kraven replied, heading to his capital ship.

In Verana, The army had been placed on high alert in case of a Viking invasion, and every knight in the nation patrolled the land, Shade and Xavier included.
"Do you think the vikings will actually invade the country?"
Shade asked as he walked alongside Xavier down the open fields.
"It's highly possible. He wouldn't let his mate's death go unavenged, at least, I wouldn't think so."
Xavier replied.
"I swear, he's wasted his talent. It's sad, really. He could have been a really good bounty hunter, and what does he do? Join the damn vikings."
Xavier nodded.
"Yes, its tragic. But, he's our enemy now, and any opposition to our civilisation must be destroyed."
That made Shade hesitate.
"I... I suppose you're right."
He replied, his voice a little shaky. That confused Xavier.
"Why so hesitant? Don't you agree?"
He looked at Shade intently, as if examining him. That's when the heard shouting and saw arrows fly through the air. In an instant, they both snapped to attention and rushed to join the battle.
"Well, it looks like they're here!"
Shade shouted as he ran.
"Let's drive them back to where they came from!"
Xavier added. The two ran across a large stone arch that overlooked the city of Kiyu. It was then that they saw him again. This time, he looked angrier and more ready to kill than before. The look made both of them slightly uneasy, but they had a nation to defend, and they wouldn't be easily shaken by a look of anger.

***2 Hours Earlier***

"Kraven, the fleet is ready. All supplies and soldiers are accounted for."
A Viking told him.
"Good. Let's go, then. The knights will be caught off guard if we move quickly."

The fleet made its way across the sea, with a storm slowing their progress. After a struggle, the fleet managed to progress with little damage and loss to Verana's shoreline, where there were few knights to resist the landing of the Viking fleet. More knights joined the fight as the vikings fought to secure Verana's beach, which was successful. With a foothold on the shore, the vikings pushed the knights back with larger numbers and fresh supplies, and shortly after they landed, they had a secure base to operate from on Verana's beach. Not content with that, they continued to advance on the overwhelmed knights, killing them in their dozens and capturing villages and towns that provided more useful supplies. They continued to push to the city of Kiyu, where they hit a solid defensive force that stopped them in their tracks.

"What's going on? Why have we stopped?"
Kraven asked, angered and frustrated.
"The knights are keeping us from progressing past Kiyu. Their defence was well coordinated and we had to retreat and plan another attack."
Kraven shook his head.
"And give the knights time to fortify it? I don't think so. Send the army in and inform them that I will be leading the offensive. We've gotten this far. I'm not failing now."
He replied.

As Vikings marched into Kiyu again, they were met with more knights than before, but with Kraven leading the attack, the knights looked weaker. Then, as he looked on top of the arch that loomed over Kiyu, he saw Shade and Xavier looking down on him. He burned up in fury, gripping his axe, covered in the blood of many knights, tightly. He wouldn't let them get away, but escape wasn't their plan. He would meet them again soon enough.

***End Of Flashback***

Shade and Xavier descended from the arch and helped the knights struggling to defend Kiyu from the Viking threat. The pair easily cut through the Viking lines, looking for Kraven. Just as the vikings began to lose ground, Xavier's sword suddenly met a strong blade from an axe belonging to none other than Kraven himself. He pushed Xavier's blade back, leaving them deadlocked in a standoff. Shade was killing every Viking in sight, meaning he didn't notice the confrontation of the two soldiers.
"So, the infamous Kraven shows his face again."
Xavier said. Kraven just scowled.
"It's easy to make me look like the infamous one. I didn't kill anyone that you cared for so much."
"No, you just killed hundreds of innocent Pokemon instead."
Xavier snapped back.
"And who cares? In this world, you look after yourself. The sooner you learn that, the better."
Xavier swung at him.
"Don't lecture me. I don't need your wise words."
"Good."
Kraven returned.
"That means we can get right into the killing."

The two began their duel, exchanging blows only to have them blocked. As the two dodged, blocked and parried each other's attacks, they began to tire. After several minutes, the effect of the duel was visible.
"Your skills are better than that of a normal Viking. You should know that you can't defeat us, however."
Xavier taunted.
"You won't be saying that when I bury the blade of my axe into your skull."
Kraven snapped back.
"Well, why are you delaying? Do it!"
Xavier shouted back, shield bashing him and knocking him back.
"We could have fought together, Kraven."
Xavier told him.
"But I made my choice."
Kraven replied.
"You really are a fool, aren't you? You really think the power of our army can be opposed? Any Viking resistance will be stamped out, like the Ornera empire several years ago. Just you wait. We'll strike you when you least expect it."
Xavier finished, swinging at him again, narrowly missing him. He swung right after the first swing again, making contact with Kraven's face. He cried in pain and backed up, blood pouring from his wound. He knocked Xavier back, making him stumble and struck his helmet, creating a dent.
"I'll kill you!"
Kraven shouted. That shout attracted Shade's attention who looked right at the Viking leader.
"KRAVEN!"
He bellowed, charging at him as fast as he could go. Kraven, seeing it as difficult to handle both knights at once, decided that now wasn't the time to take over the city. He ordered his army to retreat and looked back at Xavier.
"I won't beat you today, and I won't beat you tomorrow. But mark my words; I will avenge my mate."
He told him.
"And I'll be waiting."
Xavier replied, twirling is sword in his paw. Kraven scowled and was escorted off of the battlefield with his army.
"He's getting away! Stop him!"
Shade shouted, getting stopped by Xavier.
"Let him go, Shade. He's not worth chasing."
Shade looked shocked.
"Are you serious? He's the leader of the vikings! Kill him and we win the war! You're letting him escape?!"
Shade could hardly believe it.
"We'll get another chance! Be patient!"
Xavier shouted back.
"How can I be patient when our Pokemon are being killed and our land is under threat?"
Shade retorted.
"You will be. Or you will find yourself in a very difficult position. Get some rest and think about that."
Xavier returned his sword to its holder and his shield to his back. He then left the battlefield and Shade to his thoughts. He simply looked in the direction that Kraven had left in, burning up with anger.
"I'll find you, Kraven."
He said aloud.
"And when I do, I'll kill you."
He put his halberd on his back and left the battlefield, waiting for his next meeting with Kraven. The sooner it happened, the better. Verana would be free upon his death once more.