Part 10- Outnumbered and unaware

The three elite knights met at the recently captured supply base, preparing to attack. They were surprised to see Ryan and some members of the flaming arrow there.
"Ryan! It's good to see you'll be joining us."
Xavier added, seeing him standing with his group.
"The queen instructed that we were to assist you to capture the city, so here we are."
He replied. It was then he saw Luca.
"Is that... Luca? It's been so long since I saw him last."
He said aloud.
"Yes, it is. Why don't you go and talk to him? I'm sure he'd love to speak with you again."
Xavier encouraged him. Ryan did just that, going up to him immediately.
"Well if it isn't Luca. A greatsword that magnificent could only belong to you."
Luca turned to face Ryan.
"Wow... Ryan. How long has it been?"
He asked, shaking Ryan's paw.
"Too long. That's all I know."
The two began to talk about all that happened since the war against the imperials and what they had done in that time. Meanwhile, Shade and Xavier made preparations for the attack on the city controlled by the vikings. With four highly trained soldiers, the chance of success looked high.

After everyone was prepared, they started the two mile march toward the Viking line of defence. Xavier lead from the front, with Shade and Luca in the centre of the army and Ryan and his group pushing from the back. Having the four spread out would protect the army from defeat before even reaching their destination.

After an hour and a half of travelling, the knights finally reached the city.
"It's just over these hills. There's nowhere to hide once we pass them, so as soon as you reach the top of the last one, your best option is to make it inside as fast as you can."
Xavier advised the knights.
"Good luck to all of you. May the odds fall in our favour."
The knights began to advance over the hills, charging at the wall as soon as they reached the clearing between the hills and the city. The vikings were caught off guard, but the barricade kept the knights back long enough for them to coordinate a defence. The knights slashed at the barricade, chipping away at it slowly. Ryan and his group picked off vikings from the top of the hill.
"This is a tough barrier!"
Xavier commented.
"It won't last long! Keep attacking it!"
Shade replied, swinging at it with all of his strength.

Kraven met with the rest of the vikings after hearing about the knight invasion.
"What's going on?"
He asked.
"They've almost broken through the barrier. It won't last much longer."
A Viking replied. Kraven Thought of what to do next.
"Bring the rest of the army away from the barrier. If that won't repel them, we'll beat them back by force."

The vikings retreated from the barrier, and it soon began to break. Moments later, a section fell apart, resulting in knights pouring into the city, killing vikings in their dozens. The knights took few casualties, but soon after breaking in, the city was barren of vikings.
"This isn't right... the vikings wouldn't leave a city this important to just a few vikings."
Xavier said, confused. The army proceeded through the city, staying aware for any surprise attacks. The vikings watched as the knights walked right into their trap. As the continued to walk, they were suddenly ambushed from all sides. The tactic seemed to work with knights falling faster and faster, until eventually they began to fight back. Xavier and Luca slashed through them, while Shade hacked through them and Ryan's group shot them down. After a fierce battle, the knights stood strong, losing many soldiers but holding firm. As one Viking staggered back from the battle Shade picked him up, gripping his neck and slamming him against a wall, not letting go.
"Where's Kraven?"
He spat, holding the Viking in the air.
"I... won't tell you anything."
The Viking replied, trying his best to escape Shade's iron grip.
"So be it."
Shade snapped his neck and threw his body to the ground.
"That, felt good."
Shade said as he faced the army who looked back in shock and slight fear.
"Oh, come on. I'm not going to kill any of you. Unless you cross me."
He warned.
"Enough, Shade. We're wasting time. Keep searching and stay vigilant. Another attack could come at any time."
Xavier replied.

Kraven watched from the shadows. The vikings were badly outnumbered, despite the knights losing a fraction of their army. He knew he couldn't fight them all, but he didn't have to. He ordered his vikings to carry out a new plan. They had lost the city, but the knights would pay. He would make sure of that.

The vikings began another small ambush, not intending to kill the knights, but just to distract them. As Shade swung at a Viking, his swing was parried by an unseen blade. It was strong enough to knock him back however, and he looked up to see Kraven standing over him. His expression turned to one of pure rage and determination, but his efforts would prove futile. One Viking tried to pin him down, but Shade grabbed his arm, breaking it with the sheer force of his grip, and threw him so hard that he hit a wall, breaking through it and landing on the rubble, rolling in pain.
He then turned to Kraven.
"How dare you show your face here!"
He snarled, attempting to get up. Kraven knocked him back down however.
"Don't you go anywhere. Then again, you don't have a choice."
Kraven hit him in the head with the hilt of his axe, knocking him unconscious.
A small group of vikings then carried his body away from the battle, leaving the knights to claim the city.

After the last Viking had been killed, Xavier looked around, concerned.
"Something wrong, Xavier?"
Luca asked, observing his expression.
"I can't see Shade anywhere. I have no idea where he could be."
"I have an idea you may not like."
Ryan replied gravely, seeing Shade's halberd. He was still unable to pick it up. Xavier did instead, looking at the direction the Vikings had fled in.
"If that criminal has taken Shade, we have to get him back. The longer Shade's there, the more danger he'll be in. Coordinate another attack immediately. As soon as we can, we're going after them."
Xavier demanded.

Shade woke up in a cold, dark cave-like room. He came to his senses and saw Kraven standing in front of him.
"Oh, you're awake. Good."
Kraven said, causing Shade to get up and charge as fast he could at him. He was suddenly stopped within inches of him, finding his arms chained to the wall. He struggled to break them, grunting and growling as he did. He soon realised it was useless, glaring at Kraven and baring his sharp teeth.
"Are you done?"
Kraven asked.
"Listen to me, you worthless, pathetic, cowardly, villainous rat. I will break these chains, and I'll wring your neck and tear out your throat with my bare claws. Do you hear me?"
Shade growled.
"Yes, I'm so scared."
Kraven replied sarcastically.
"But for now, you do as I say."
Shade almost lost it.
"Over my dead body!"
He roared.
"If we have to kill you, we will. So listen up."
Kraven replied coldly. Shade simply glared back, unable to do anything else. He hoped that Xavier, or anyone for that matter, would arrive soon. He didn't know how long he had left, but he would stay strong until his last breath. Kraven wouldn't break him, no matter what he did.