Part 9- An increase in viking opposition

After being unsuccessful in regaining Shade's trust, Xavier feared he would refuse to support the army against the Viking invasion. To help resolve the issue, he decided that it was time to reunite with an old friend up in the mountains. He began the long journey to the mountains alone while Shade stayed inside the house, still feeling bitter about the truth he'd found out not too long ago.

It was a long trip, but Xavier eventually made it, looking for a short time before finding a cave opening. There was a fire outside, and another Lucario could be seen training with a greatsword a short distance from it. As Xavier approached, the Pokemon quickly turned and pointed the sword at Xavier's neck.
"Luca, it's me. Careful where you point that. You almost impaled me."
Luca suddenly realised his quick action and lowered his sword.
"Xavier, what are you doing here? I've never seen you come up here before. Of course it's great to see you, but I'm confused."
Xavier simply nodded and explained the Viking invasion, Kraven's conversion and Shade's harsh feelings toward him.
"Oh, a lot has gone on since we last met."
Luca replied.
"Yes, that's true. Why are you up here anyway? I always wondered why you never told us."
Luca closed his eyes and sighed.
"I needed time to train on my own. The queen's training techniques aren't as sophisticated as mine, and so I came here to perfect my techniques myself. I was going to return to the kingdom in due time, but it looks like my return will be a little sooner than anticipated. I think my techniques will prove useful on the battlefield and I will demonstrate what I've learned without holding back. If Kraven has turned on us and threatens our great nation, then I'll do what I can to stop him. He won't succeed, that I can guarantee you."
Xavier smiled, drawing his sword.
"Then let's show them just how powerful we can be together, just like we did against the empire."

The two began to walk down from the mountains to the queen's fortress. Luca stood before the queen once more, ready to fight again.
"My queen, I heard about the Viking invasion and I'm ready to take up my sword to defend the country once more to defend Verana from the Viking threat."
He told her, making her smile.
"It's good to have you back, Luca. Hopefully with your support we can drive the vikings back to blunder, and defeat them as we did the empire. Our future looks brighter with you in our ranks once again."
She replied.
"Thank you, my queen. I shall get to work immediately."
He said, following Xavier out of the fortress.

The next day, the knights gathered their forces to attack a small Viking outpost that stood between them and a minor city they could use as a supply base. Shade was still absent, leaving Xavier and Luca to lead the advance.
"Alright, the army is ready to attack. They're waiting on your command, general."
Luca said to Xavier.
"Very good. We shall move immediately. Give the command to attack."
Xavier replied.
With that, the first battle in two weeks began. The vikings at the outpost were caught unaware but their defences were well fortified. It took the knights some time to break through but they managed to break through and began to charge inside the base, killing vikings in quick succession. After killing another Viking, Xavier looked to see Luca decimating a small group with ease. It looked as though his training had payed off. Soon after, the knights had taken the base and killed off the last vikings. They now had a place to hold supplies and operate close to the viking line of defence. At this rate, the next city would be theirs in little time. Xavier approached Luca, greatly impressed with what he saw.
"Well, it looks as though your training payed off. I haven't seen fighting skills like that in a long time."
Luca simply smiled.
"I thought my training would benefit the army. It looks as though I was right."
He replied.
"Of course it did. With Shade's help, we'll be a force to be reckoned with."
Xavier added.
"If we can get him to help at all, of course."
Luca nodded in agreement.
"I'm sure you can. Just talk to him about it. He should understand. It's always worth a try."
He told him. Xavier nodded.
"Yes, I think you're right."

Meanwhile, Kraven's was readying his defences in the next city.
"I knew we should have reinforced that outpost. We could lose everything we fought for at this point. I want the size of these barricades doubled as soon as possible. We won't lose this city without a fight."
The Vikings immediately got to work, gathering materials for the barricades. Kraven headed to the Viking camp to rest, wondering what would become of the army in the future. These were his former friends that he was fighting, and although they had history together, he wouldn't let all he had worked for, and the death of his mate, all be for nothing. He had worked too hard and lost too much to simply give up now.

Xavier entered the house, seeing Shade sitting at the table, motionless.
"Shade? Are you okay?"
Shade didn't reply- he just shook his head. Xavier was beginning to get tired of this new attitude of Shade's.
"Shade, listen. I understand that you think you've been treated unfairly, but this has to stop. Your country and your queen are under threat, and as a knight, it's your responsibility to protect them. Your feelings are irrelevant when it comes to war. You fight until you cannot fight anymore or you win. Until then, you don't stop. So this, this sitting around and being idle, it won't continue. I won't let it."
"Oh, really?"
Shade stood up, looming over Xavier.
"And what are you going to do about it?"
He asked.
"Shade, look at yourself. You need to get back into the fight. Tomorrow, we're going to attack the next city and we need your help. Kraven may be there, and you may get to fight him like you wanted to if you join us. If you don't want to do it for me, do it for the good of the country. You vowed to protect it; now make good on that."
Shade sighed.
"Fine. I'll go. I'm only going for A chance to kill Kraven though. That worthless rat will suffer if I can help it."
"Good."
Xavier replied.
"Then get your things together. We're going soon."

With that, Shade was back in the fighting spirit, if only partially. The knights now had three major figures to combat the vikings, making them look strong. The war was beginning to turn, and in time, the knights would gain strength. Their future began to look bright, and just as it did with them empire, their chance of victory slowly began to rise.