Part 8- Xavier's Secret

The last few days has been quiet, with no attacks or fights from either side. The knights could only assume Kraven was planning something big, but the knights fortified their defences as best they could. The quiet period gave Xavier and Shade a lot of free time.

Although an attack was imminent at any time, Xavier and Shade rested in their home, saving their energy for the war. The time soon came when Xavier found it appropriate to tell Shade what had happened thirteen years ago, when the empire was the Sentinels' greatest threat. Maybe if he had known Shade's reaction, he may have hidden the truth forever.

The two were talking about the emperor's reign over Ornera when he decided to tell him.
"Actually, there's something I need to talk about with you, Shade."
Shade looked at him intently and confused.
"There is?"
Xavier nodded.
"And it's important. You know how your father passed away, don't you?"
Shade's expression was one of sorrow and sadness.
"Yes. He was impaled and died very quickly afterward. I'll never forget his face when he died. It haunts my dreams to this day. But what is it? You needed to tell me something, didn't you?"
Xavier didn't know how to tell him.
"There's no easy way around this, so I'm just going to tell you. Your father... he was killed... by me."
Shade looked blankly at him. Xavier didn't know what to think or say next.
"What? I'm sorry, I think I heard you wrong. Just let me check that what you just said was that you... you... killed my father?"
Xavier nodded solemnly.
"That's what I said."
Xavier went to the small fireplace and reached for a great sword with a purple gem between the hilt and the blade that was held above the fire.
"This was his weapon... the one he was killed with."
Xavier told Shade, who was almost at breaking point.
He had his head in his claws, not being able to look at Xavier at all.
"You... out of every sentinel that fought in the war... and it was you..."
Shade said gravely.
"Why didn't you tell me? My own father, killed by you! The one I looked up to so much! I understand that my father wasn't a hero, but YOU killed him and didn't tell me before?!"
Shade was yelling now. Xavier knew how vicious he could be when he was angry.
"Shade, I was trying to protect you. You don't understand."
Xavier replied.
"Oh, how ridiculous! You were only protecting yourself! You saw how devastated I was when I was young. I thought of nothing but him for weeks afterward, and yet STILL you don't let me know that my own father was killed by the Pokemon I looked up to so much! I thought you were a hero, Xavier! I thought you wanted the best for me!"
Shade was shaking with anger at this point.
"I do shade! Pull yourself together! I didn't want it to affect our relationship early on! I'm sorry I didn't tell you, but I really do want the best for you!"
Shade turned away from him.
"By not telling me that my father's death is due to you. I can't believe you decided to hide that from me. It makes me wonder how many more secrets you're hiding from me. I'm going to talk to the queen about this. I need time to think about what you just told me."
Before Xavier could reply, Shade left his house and slammed the door. He was furious at this point. How could Xavier betray him so badly? He thought he was the one Pokemon he could trust, but that trust had been badly broken. One bond had been damaged, and another was soon to be. Xavier thought hard about what had just happened and thought of other possible outcomes.

Shade walked in to the fortress, seeing Richard sitting next to the throne, which was empty.
"Where's the queen, Richard?"
He asked, a hint of anger in his voice.
"In her private chamber. I'll collect her for you."
Richard replied, leaving and returning with the queen several moments later.
"Ah, Shade. It's good to see you again. What can I do for such a young and lively soldier like yourself today?"
She asked.
"I'm not happy, my queen. I'm rather angry."
He told her.
"Oh? Why would that be?"
She asked, confused but interested.
"Xavier told me that he killed my father. I can't believe he went this long without telling me. I had a right to know, and he kept that from me for no good reason."
He replied angrily.
"Oh, so he finally told you-"
Shade glared at her.
"Wait... you knew too? Why didn't YOU tell me? Why was it such a big secret?!"
He shouted.
"We never felt it was the right time to tell you. I've watched you grow from the small Zorua you were into the powerful Zoroark you are now, Shade. And trust me, I wanted Xavier to tell you. But it was best left to him as your guardian and teacher, and we didn't want it to affect your relationship with us."
She walked up to him and put a paw on his shoulder.
"We've always wanted the best for you, Shade. We never wanted any harsh feelings to come from it, so we didn't tell you. We feared that you would never come to trust us, but now maybe it would have been better to tell you earlier. I'm sorry, Shade. I know your father meant a lot to you."
She finished. Shade had seemed to calm down a little. Her charismatic skills seemed to work on him.
"I need time to think about this. I can't believe what I've heard today."

He left the fortress, ignored Xavier when he reentered the house and locked himself in his bedroom. He continued to ignore Xavier's requests to talk to him and confined himself in his room until morning. Although he didn't want to, he knew he'd have to face Xavier, but his opinions on keeping the secret from him wouldn't change. Xavier had hurt him on the inside, and the wound that had been created had a chance of not ever healing.