018

"Stay strong. Make them wonder how you're still smiling."
~unknown

Harley's POV

Harley's POV

With Frank finally back in Chicago and none of us having to worry about being taken by social services it seemed like everything was falling back into place. Xavier and I planned on going out tonight, considering I cancelled on him before due to Frank vanishing. 

A week had passed since Franks disappearance. A week since Steve thought of the bright idea to kidnap my lowlife father. And a week since I had my final spat with Bentley Milkovich.

As time went by I feared for my life more and more. I was awaiting an attack from the Milkovich brothers, Mickey Milkovich being the one I feared most. But as the week went by I wondered if he would ever even hear that it had been Ruby and I who trashed his already trashy car.

My thoughts were instantly disrupted by a loud cry of pain. My head shot up as I saw a mother holding her twelve year old son in her arms. Blood was rushing down his face as he clung to the thin material of her flannel.

"Set him up here." I spoke in a rush. The blonde woman listened to my demand as she set her small brown haired boy on the counter in front of me. I was quick to grab the first aid kit beside me and paper towels. "What happened?" I asked as I began to hold the paper towel against the boys bloody mouth.

"He didn't want to wear his helmet. I didn't think he'd get hit." The mother responded, looking anything but calm.

Over the course of seven days I had managed to get myself a job, one that was actually decent pay. I worked at the indoor batting cages that were about twenty minutes from the Southside of Chicago.

"Hold this right here, I'll be back with ice and a manager." I told the woman who instantly took over in applying pressure to the boys face. His teeth were long gone and there was a possibility his nose was broken.

I ran off in search of a manger first. I knew this meant we'd be sued, it wasn't the first time and it definitely wouldn't be the last. They always managed to get money despite the fifty signs that hung along the cages and the fact that I tell everyone twice to wear their helmets at all times. People never listen... or read.

After telling a manager named Nick, a man with buzzed hair and a 5 o'clock shadow that made him look as if he didn't care about his work or his life, I headed home.

I walked throughout the cold Chicago streets, my backpack draped over my shoulder, and a cigarette hanging from my lips. I kept my bluing hands in my coat pockets, the cold air making them go numb.

"Gallagher!" I spun around quickly at the sound of my last name being yelled. My eyes widened the moment they landed on Mickey Milkovich. His brothers trailing behind him, Bentley wore a worried expression on his face.