019

"I learned how to stop crying. I learned how to hide inside of myself. I learned how to be somebody else. I learned how to be cold and numb."
~Sherman Alexie

"~Sherman Alexie

Bentley's POV

A few months earlier

The smile that was glued to my face was unable to go away. Although school would be starting school I was excited. I had just dropped Harley off at her house. We spent the day outside the gas station, just scarfing down slushies.

Harley always got cherry and I always got Coca Cola. It was a summer ritual, one that we followed every year since we were kids. We'd buy the delicious drink once, then sneak back in for free refills as many times as we wanted. They never even noticed.

I didn't know what it was about Harley anymore, I got this weird feeling whenever she was around, but I couldn't describe it. I tried to let the odd feeling in my chest go away but for some odd reason it wouldn't. I thought I had just been sick at first but weeks had passed since I got the odd sensation in my stomach whenever the brunette smiled at me.

I jogged up my porch steps and hurried into the house. My house was falling apart, it was a piece of South Side trash but it's what made it ours.

"What's got you so happy?" Mickey questioned from the couch. His feet were on the coffee table, his shoes still on his feet, and beer cans scattered throughout the living area.

I walked to the fridge and pulled out my own can of beer. I shrugged my shoulders at my brother, the smile never disappearing from my face. Mickey stood up, a classic smirk residing on his dirtied face.

"Shit, you finally get laid?"

"What?" I asked, laughing slightly.

"That Gallagher girl really made you work for it, shit." Mickey laughed before taking the beer can out of my hand and taking a large sip. I rolled my eyes at him and grabbed another can from the fridge. "Seriously man, I can't believe you waited that long for her. She worth it?"

"I didn't sleep with Harley." I told him, shaking my head at the thought. I took a sip of my beer and hoped Mickey wouldn't take this one from me as well; it was the last in the fridge.

"Wait you didn't even fuck her? What's the matter with you?" Mickey asked, setting his drink down on the trash filled counter. I shrugged at him and laughed.

"She's just a friend, Mick." I responded before walking out of the kitchen and towards my bedroom. My bedroom was small and had dirty clothes piled all around the room. I picked up a sweatshirt and threw it over my shoulders.