Chapter 27: We were in Paris tonight

Here is a lovely long chapter for you guys!

Also look for the <> for where to listen to the song.

Enjoy!

Darla H

The next day I still laid in my hospital bed, counting down the minutes until I could leave. Currently, I was told that they could release me tomorrow if I was lucky. But that's always the keyword, lucky. I never was. Knowing my luck, I would be here for another three more days or worse, I would just die in this bed.

My parents hadn't talked at all about me stopping treatment since last night. Even though they dropped by this morning for a while, they never brought up the hard conversation that needed to be had. I think they thought I would forget about our disagreement and they would sign off on the paperwork, sending me away without my knowledge. This put me on edge and kept my guard up as I asked the nurses if my parents signed off on anything, knowing that they would be honest.

To save me from my anxiety, if my parents didn't bring the treatment option up today, then I will. We needed to finish this conversation. As hard as it would be, we needed to talk about it how I was going to die and what my last wishes were.

Farrah texted me a few times this morning, but I hadn't responded to any of her messages, as anger still dictated my actions. I was mad that she pulled away, and that she didn't talk to me like she used to. I was mad that she wasn't even here with mom and dad this morning. It made me feel unwanted. Did it matter to her that I was dying and she would never have her sister back? I guess not because she rather spend it with that new boy of hers.

I waited for a few hours for my parents to come back however with no sign of them; I spent my time reading, watching TV, trying to work on homework to distract myself. Finally in the evening, Peter tapped on the door frame with a smile on his face.

"Hey Clare," Peter said as he walked into my hospital room. His smile was larger than normal and it caught me off guard as he pulled out a bunch of flowers from behind his back and handed them to me. "For you." Behind him came a nurse with a cart full of more flowers, lighting up the room instantly.

I gave a small laugh in shock as I took the flowers from Peter. "What is this? Is this all from you?" I had never seen so many flowers in one place, except for the hospital flower shop, which made me wonder if he bought them out.

"The ones you're holding are mine. The rest are from the team. They missed you at the game last night," he said and sat down next to me, close enough that I could smell his cologne and body wash hinting that he just took a shower, which made sense because he must have come from practice.

I blushed. "Thank you. Tell that to everyone."

He kissed me lightly with a nod. "I was thinking since you can't go out on a date, I would bring it to you." He got up from his chair and walked out of the room seconds later he returned with a wheelchair for me.

I frowned at him, not sure if the nurses would allow me to go. Doctor Patel seemed persistent that I needed to stay in my room. I remembered this morning as I tried to leave, but he quickly put an end to that, saying something like he wanted me to be resting in a controlled environment.

"I already asked your nurse. She gave me the thumbs up."

I nodded at him with a small smile, knowing that I could always trust the nurses to have my back. It amazed me that he would go through the trouble to plan something like this, which was another reminder of why I didn't deserve him. I was just taking him away from someone that would be on this earth longer.