Chapter 34: I Hadn't Laughed This Much In A Week

Song is for the start of the chapter!

"No, your hands have gotten softer, I swear," Peter said as he played with my hands a week after we shared the notes through the window. Since that moment, he had spent all his free moments with me and I enjoyed every second of it.

The sad thing was that I was still in the hospital, stuck since the Doctors kept telling me one more day, or that I needed to get my strength back. At this point, I was sure that they weren't telling me the whole truth; they were just lying to keep my hopes up. By now I was convinced that I would stay here indefinitely. However, before I had time to wallow in self pity, my family and Peter were always around, reminding me that I would be fine.

Peter kissed my hand, pulling me out of my thoughts, causing me to roll my eyes at him. My hands had not gotten softer. He was just being kind. Everyone knows that the air at the hospital is so dry, it cracks the healthiest of skin. "Yeah right."

He smiled at me and brushed some of my hair out of my face, then promptly checked his phone for the time since he only had 20 more minutes left before he had to leave me for the night.

I frowned at him, not wanting him to leave me so soon today. "Why do you have to leave?" I already knew the answer to this question, knowing that he had family commitments to attend. He kept on saying that I was lucky that I didn't need to join him, but I wanted to. I knew this dinner with his uncle and family was important, and I just wished I could be there to support him.

He frowned back at me. "Dinner with my uncle is a big deal. This is the first time my family will share a meal with him in nine years. It's kind of a big deal for my family for me to be early since I have a feeling this is going to be more emotional than originally thought," he said as he pulled out his phone to read his text messages.

I nodded at him. "Yeah. I understand. I wish I could go with you."

He kissed me lightly. "I know. And I wish that too. But you need to rest. In no time you will be out of here."

I nodded, although I didn't believe him. I didn't know when I would get out of here, but I felt like it would never be anytime soon. At that moment, my parents came in with Farrah on their heels. Mom had a gigantic smile on her face, as if she heard the best news ever.

"Hey sweetheart," mom said and gave me a small hug. "Guess who's going home tomorrow?"

I smiled at her, larger than I have in a week. Peter quickly squeezed my hand with a smile, sharing his excitement in the matter. It was about dang time. I was getting so bored with this room. "Can I leave today?" I raised my eyebrows at them, trying to convince them to sign the papers early.

Dad shook his head. "No can-do champ. You need to stay here until tomorrow. There are some last minutes tests you need to do before you leave."

I pouted at him but didn't protest, knowing that he wouldn't cave.

Mom went over to Peter and gave him a hug. "Hi, Love, nice to see you today."

Peter smiled at her as he slipped on his coat, getting ready to leave for the evening. "It's always a pleasure to see you, Mrs. Atkins."

Mom smiled at me, showing her approval of him. I shrugged at her with a smile. What could I say? He was always the charmer, at least there's someone in this relationship that was.

"Clare! I brought this card game I learned in school today. I was hoping to play it with you, mom, dad, and Peter," Farrah said as she squeezed through the gap between mom and dad.

Peter frowned and stood up from his chair. "As much as I would love to stay, I have a family reunion to get to. But you guys have fun and maybe next time I'll get the chance to play."

We all nodded at him.

"I'll see you tomorrow at home," Peter said to me as he kissed me lightly on my lips.

I held his hand, wishing he would kiss me harder, but I knew he was being polite in front of my parents. "Bye," I whispered with longing in my voice, wishing him to stay longer by my side.

He smiled at me but said nothing back, knowing what I was thinking. "Bye, everyone," he said right before he walked out the door.

"Have fun with your family Peter," mom said as he left the room.

A minute after Peter left, I turned to Farrah and smiled. "So, what about this game, Farrah?" I asked her.

Her face lit up with a smile, clearly excited about it. For a second, she reminded me of a kid on Christmas day, excited to open presents. She took the seat that Peter was sitting at and then proceeded to tell me all about the game and the rules on how to play.

Within minutes, the card game enthralled us as we played on a small table that I had in the room. We talked as we played and we laughed harder than we had in weeks. It was like some weight around us had lifted, and the atmosphere was much more upbeat.

"We need to do more of these family game nights. It has been too long," I told them as I looked at the cards I had in my hand, knowing that I was going to lose this round.

My parents both nodded at me. "It has been far too long hasn't it."

"Every Monday should be game night!" Farrah exclaimed excitedly. "Also, I have a full hand. I win." She laid out her full hand on the table, showing us that she did indeed win. She smirked at us as if she just won the lottery then started shuffling the cards again.

"No! I was way too close!" dad exclaimed back at her as he dropped his hand of cards on the table to show her. He was right, he was close, if it was his turn he would have won.

I laughed at them as I placed my cards on the table for Farrah to shuffle. Suddenly my cold and sterile hospital room didn't feel so cold anymore. As we played the game, I forgot for a moment where we were and just enjoyed our moment together.

"Well, suck it up. Maybe next time," Farrah said, giving a sly smile.

"This is the third time in a row. I think you are cheating," he said with a frown.

She shook her head as the door clicked open, allowing a nurse to come in and check my vitals. The joking atmosphere disappeared as she reminded me once again of where I was. She quickly checked my stats, then turned to my parents with a small frown, preparing to tell them it was time to leave. "Sorry guys but visiting hours are over."

"Just five more minutes?" Farrah begged her with her doe eyes that I was always a sucker for.

She shook her head as she looked at the time on her phone. I could have sworn that this nurse had a superpower, to be immune to Farrah's charm. "I already gave you 30 minutes extra."

My parents nodded at her, accepting their fate, then smiled at me. Mom kissed me on my forehead and dad squeezed my hand to tell me goodbye. "We will see you tomorrow," mom said to me.

"I'll be here." As if I had anywhere better to go.

"See ya, sis!" Farrah waved at me casually as she slipped on her light coat.

"See ya," I said as they left me alone in my room. I frowned at the door. After that week of solitude, I realized that being alone was not fun at all. I wish they could have stayed all night long with me. I didn't want them to be separated because I didn't want to waste any more time without the people who I loved by my side.