Chapter 15

#COMM

Chapter 15

My mind was clouded with Aidan's words. I wanted to believe him... but my mind wouldn't let me. Every time I would look at him, I could perfectly picture that scene. It was so vivid... too vivid.

I thought it was just an ordinary day. I was too excited to see him after going on a two-week vacation with my family. I got all kinds of stories for him. And then... I saw him in bed. Naked. With Ashley.

I was stunned. My instinct told me to run away... and so I did. I exhausted everything just to hide from him. I couldn't address the situation. It was too painful for me. They were two of the people closest to me... tapos gagawin nila 'yun sa akin? I felt so betrayed.

"I'm sorry," I said after I listened to his explanation. I wanted to believe him... but the scar was still there. I didn't think words would suffice to make me feel better.

"Margarette," he called me.

Slowly, I shook my head. "I... can't believe you. I'm sorry, Aidan."

I tried to get away from him, but he held my hand. Sinubukan ko na alisin iyong kamay niya, but his grip just tightened.

"Maggie, please. Don't be unfair. I didn't do anything, yet somehow, I lost everything," he said, trying to drown me with his stares. I just didn't buy his explanation. Na tinulungan lang niya si Ashley dahil lasing tapos... paggising niya magkatabi na sila?

Was I that stupid? Couldn't he at least craft a better explanation? Iyong mas believable sana.

Umiling ako.

I just couldn't.

Even with his tears, his explanation... I was just done with him. I couldn't be with him anymore.

"I'm sorry," I repeated... because at the moment, that was all that I could offer. Sinubukan ko ulit na umalis pero niyakap niya lang ako. Hindi ako makagalaw. I could feel his tears. I could feel him slightly shaking. I was making him cry.

Yet I couldn't do anything.

I couldn't give him what he wanted.

"Maggie, please..." he begged. "I already told you everything. Why can't you just please come back to me? I didn't do anything to hurt you..."

"Aidan, I... can't be with you again."

Lumuwag iyong hawak niya.

"Why? Is there someone else?"

Natigilan ako. Was there someone else? Wala naman. I didn't have anyone with me... yet it didn't feel right to get back with him just because I didn't have anyone. I still have myself. And my family. I didn't feel the need to have someone just to feel complete.

"Is it that Jasper?" he asked, loosening his hold.

"No," I replied.

"Then why?"

I removed his hold from me and faced him. "I can only offer friendship, Aidan. That's all. I just can't be with someone I can't trust—"

"Maggie, please! I never broke your trust—"

"That's not the point, Aidan. You can't control how I think. How I feel. Every time I see you, it's her I see. Even seeing you hurts me. I don't trust you anymore!" I told him. "If you can't accept friendship, then I have nothing to give you."

Hurt spread across his face. His jaw clenched.

"Okay," he replied after a few seconds of silence. "Friendship? I'll take that."